BBC this morning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

byegad

Legendary Member
There seemed to be a huge emphasis on the HGV drivers being at fault, when it is the stupid cyclists ignoring Highway Code 167 who at fault. The technology should be used to allow HGV drivers to keep a look out for the death wish cyclists that insist on going up the inside of a very large metal object which is indicating to turn left.

Want a bigger brush? :biggrin:

Seriously I thought something similar. The left side of an HGV is not the best place to be. If it passes you then hopefully the driver knows you are there, after all the driver pulled out to pass you and didn't drive over you.

If you try to pass the HGV on its left then you are relying on the driver looking in the mirror while you are in his arc of vision. Not good. Although the idea of an extra warning for the driver is good you won't find me on the left of a lorry other than when they pass me, even if they make the magic eye compulsory.

She did have a valid point, I thought. Technology, extra mirrors and so on are all very well, but it stands to reason that if the driver is looking at a video screen, s/he's not looking at the mirrors, and if s/he's looking at the mirrors, then s/he's not looking in front of the cab, and so on. And it's true enough that if a driver comes to rely on a little electronic voice saying "warning! moving object on the left" (or whatever) , they'll soon get out of the habit of simply being as vigilant as possible. Fine while the little electronic voice device works, but if it gets broken or damaged or simply wears out and isn't replaced (and tipper trucks in particular tend to have a hard working life in dusty and muddy environments; hardly conducive to the survival of electronic gizmos) then it's very easy to imagine teh driver not realisingtaht there is a cyclist alongside. I'd rather see cyclists educated to stay away from that side of lorries, and lorry drivers educated to look out for them and not left hook them.

I was wrestling a screaming toddler :rolleyes: when it was on but what I did catch was the fleet manager going on about the cameras and sensors costing in the region of £600-£700. I know a cyclist can be to blame for putting themselves to the left of a left turning truck and cameras and sensors will never be a 100% solution but to me that seems cheap when compared to the cost of lives, even just one.

OT did anybody catch that old Episode of Police, Camera, Action after the ToC last night, showing that suicidal idiot trying to undertake a bus. Of course bad behaviour like that'll be stopped after the governments plans to introduce licence plates (I think the program was 20 year old :rolleyes: )

sfb

I didn't see the program you're discussing and I've only recently started cycling again but this makes interesting reading. I have a variety of crappy old motorbikes and mopeds and have had my bike licence for 20 years and I find it best to assume that everyone else on the road is out to get me, and then feel pleased when other road users are polite and considerate.

I always assume that lorry drivers haven't seen me - you can't even make assumptions about which side of the cab the driver is in, it may well be a "foreign" lorry - looking at number plates gives you a clue but if you're trying to get past one on either side, have a thought for what evasive action you can take if the driver suddenly changes direction. You can't do much about it if a lorry decides to pass you on a roundabout but generally, I would give any lorry a wide berth on a roundabout whether on a motorbike, bicycle or in a car - just hang back and stay out of the way.

Everyone can make mistakes and those are big, big vehicles with a lot more scope for the driver to miss seeing someone. It might not be fair that they haven't seen you and it isn't excusable for them not to check properly but if you just accept that you have to ride defensively at all times, it really isn't that arduous. A moment's distraction to a lorry driver can be disastrous for more vulnerable road users - whatever safety measures lorries have in place, I will still ride in a manner that means I spend as little time as possible in close proximity to them - I wouldn't sit next to a lorry at traffic lights unless I could put myself in a position where I knew the driver could see me.

I'm sure you get the idea - a little paranoia can be a healthy thing.

ThePainInSpain

What if you did away with mirrors altogether and went entirely to cameras. With a screen in the cab split into 4 views. Then the driver only has to look at one other area apart from ahead.

Top Bottom