BBC wasting my licence fee ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
No, not Simon wittering-on about Top Gear again !

For the record I disagree with him, just don't get his point at all.

I myself don't like some of the things the BBC spends my licence fee on - like football, snooker, East Enders, The Weakest Link, Celebrity Come Dancing, etc.
I don't watch any of these, but accept that the BBC is a broadcaster for all of us and it will make/screen programs that I don't want to watch but others do, because they make/screen programs which I do want to watch but others don't.

But this one makes me very uncomfortable...
http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7026345.stm

Louis Theroux goes to California to investigate cosmetic plastic surgery, goes to see a doctor who suggests he could have liposuction, Louis has it for the experience and to be able to present a different viewpoint in his program.

This makes me very uncomfortable.
That Louis should have himself mutilated in this way (that's how I view cosmetic plastic surgery for vanity reasons, rather than e.g. to reconstruct someone's face after a fire or carcrash) for entertainment just seems wrong.

Without intending to condescend to Simon, it seems he objects to Top Gear for moral & political reasons, reasons which are viscerally-felt.
Perhaps I'm the same about this...

redfox

If it was anyone else I would probably agree, but I am prepared to give Louis Theroux the benefit of the doubt.

He has a track record of getting the participants in his documentaries on-side, by immersing himself in their world. The resulting program is nearly always the better for it.

I shall be watching.

Noodley

papercorn2000 said:
... I know how you are feeling.

No you don't.

If you did you would know that I am not happy that all the teachers are having two weeks holiday. :biggrin:

ChrisKH

Guru
Maybe. But your post is being led to some extent by your personal views on plastic surgery. I wouldn't have lipo myself, but I wouldn't judge those that do. For some it may be the kickstart they need to feel good about themself sufficiently to start taking care of themselves properly (if you see what I mean). It's very easy to judge, especially if you already have the body you want.

People who have plastic surgery - who are they hurting? The same negative things could be said about tattoo's, but I suspect the counselling you get before plastic surgery is probably better.

Didn't he pay for this out of his own pocket though?
I seem to recall a similar programme he made a while back where he shelled out his own $$$.

Maybe not quite as much of a waste as it first seems?

S

ChrisKH said:
your post is being led to some extent by your personal views on plastic surgery

Agreed - that's why I'm saying I'm a bit like Simon.
His objection to Top Gear
Mine to cosmetic plastic surgery

I'd probably feel the same about...ooh dunno, tries to think of something...maybe a program where someone started taking drugs just to experience what it was like to give up

simon_adams_uk said:
Didn't he pay for this out of his own pocket though?
I seem to recall a similar programme he made a while back where he shelled out his own $$$.

Maybe not quite as much of a waste as it first seems?

S

He paid the £2500 for the op - but the BBC will have paid his production company far more for the program.

ChrisKH

Guru
andy_wrx said:
Agreed - that's why I'm saying I'm a bit like Simon.
His objection to Top Gear
Mine to cosmetic plastic surgery

I'd probably feel the same about...ooh dunno, tries to think of something...maybe a program where someone started taking drugs just to experience what it was like to give up

Yes, I see what you mean about this specific act on his part. Perhaps he had been considering it anyway.

bonj2

<chris morris take on jarvis cocker voice>
If he actually is going to get it done for the program, then I think he's doing it for the wrong reasons. I think he should get it all pumped back in again, and then have it done again because he likes how he will look.
</~>

Seriously though I don't think that he will actually get it done. They might claim he is doing for the program's sake, but it'll all be smoke and mirrors.

U

User482

bonj said:
<chris morris take on jarvis cocker voice>
If he actually is going to get it done for the program, then I think he's doing it for the wrong reasons. I think he should get it all pumped back in again, and then have it done again because he likes how he will look.
</~>

Seriously though I don't think that he will actually get it done. They might claim he is doing for the program's sake, but it'll all be smoke and mirrors.

According to the interview with him in last Sunday's Oberver, he has had it done.

PrettyboyTim

The thing that pisses me off is their 'news' helicopter.

They spend all that money keeping that thing in the air so that we can watch live footage of a bit of motorway that's had a crash on it. Or maybe a railway that's had a crash on it. If they need an aerial picture so much, can't they just fly over it once and take a picture? Hell, couldn't they just do that with a model plane? Why waste all that fuel and money just having it parked over a scene in which all the 'news' has already happened?

simoncc

andy_wrx said:
No, not Simon wittering-on about Top Gear again !

For the record I disagree with him, just don't get his point at all.

I myself don't like some of the things the BBC spends my licence fee on - like football, snooker, East Enders, The Weakest Link, Celebrity Come Dancing, etc.
I don't watch any of these, but accept that the BBC is a broadcaster for all of us and it will make/screen programs that I don't want to watch but others do, because they make/screen programs which I do want to watch but others don't.

But this one makes me very uncomfortable...
http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7026345.stm

Louis Theroux goes to California to investigate cosmetic plastic surgery, goes to see a doctor who suggests he could have liposuction, Louis has it for the experience and to be able to present a different viewpoint in his program.

This makes me very uncomfortable.
That Louis should have himself mutilated in this way (that's how I view cosmetic plastic surgery for vanity reasons, rather than e.g. to reconstruct someone's face after a fire or carcrash) for entertainment just seems wrong.

Without intending to condescend to Simon, it seems he objects to Top Gear for moral & political reasons, reasons which are viscerally-felt.
Perhaps I'm the same about this...

My objection to the licence is not a gut feeling. It's a normal dislike I have of paying for things I don't need or want.

U

User482

simoncc said:
My objection to the licence is not a gut feeling. It's a normal dislike I have of paying for things I don't need or want.

But you do need it. You own a television.

Top Bottom