Bbc4, Stiff

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
User76 said:
Has anyone else just watched the "history" of STIFF records on BBC4. I would say that, along with TMS on LW, I am happy that my licence fee has been well spent this year. It was a really great nostalgic documentary about the bands and the personalities behind STIFF records.

Marvellous way to spend an hour and a half on a friday evening (with a bottle of port:tongue:)

if it's one that's been on before, it's excellent viewing. i have the double cd a hard night's day which is a stiff records anthology. excellent stuff.

Abitrary

User76 said:
Has anyone else just watched the "history" of STIFF records on BBC4. I would say that, along with TMS on LW, I am happy that my licence fee has been well spent this year. It was a really great nostalgic documentary about the bands and the personalities behind STIFF records.

Marvellous way to spend an hour and a half on a friday evening (with a bottle of port:tongue:)

Too shagging right. The stiff thing, the jazz things, the thing on spies the other night with Stella Rimington.

Once every week, this channel restores sanity in my life.

It's like a mixture of what BBC2 and Channel 4 set out to do

SamNichols

BBC4 is incredible, anyone who complains about BBC output doesn't spend enough time absorbing what's on that channel. There's better music than anywhere else, better docs than anywhere else on more interesting subjects than anywhere else, and it's the only channel with half decent cultural programming (which c4 has got disturbingly bad at of late). I just wish that I had a tv to watch it on, I just end up watching it when I'm at my folks.

SamNichols

It isn't Virgin Megastore anymore. It is Zavvi, which is a Virgin Megastore with only the outside sign changed (go inside and they haven't bothered changing any of the other branding, which is fairly funny: some even have big Virgin Megastore logos built into the floor still). Plus the new branding is rubbish. Good to see that Fopp got bought back from the brink.

SamNichols

Yeah, Fopp's back now: some company bought them up fairly recently. The Manchester one has definitely re-opened now. Unfortunately I don't need a Fopp in Manchester as I have Vinyl Exchange - the place that dreams are made of.

Noodley

SamNichols said:
Yeah, Fopp's back now: some company bought them up fairly recently. The Manchester one has definitely re-opened now. Unfortunately I don't need a Fopp in Manchester as I have Vinyl Exchange - the place that dreams are made of.

So why did you say it was good to see Fopp being "brought back from the brink"?

SamNichols

Noodley said:
So why did you say it was good to see Fopp being "brought back from the brink"?

Because it is good to see a chain of record stores that doesn't overcharge the consumer like virgin and hmv do, and at least tend to stock something with a bit of imagination. If I didn't have vinyl exchange then i'd be in there, spending like the rest of them: but, vinyl exchange stock all sorts from obscure 80s new wave to classic jazz lps, so I don't need to stray out of its confines.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
How can I get BBC4 if I haven't got any of your fancy TV shenanigans cable or sattelite shitey b0ll0cks?

Top Bottom