Be honest, can you tell the differance between Look Keos and SPDs?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AlanW

Guru
I have ridden with Look cleats/pedals since about the day they originally hit the UK, and finally switched over to Keo's 18 months ago.

And I have used SPDs on my MTB for the last six years or so.

During the winter months I tend to put the SPD pedals on the winter bike, save me trashing my summer shoes really I guess?

Now, there are for's and against for both, and ignoring the obvious ones, in the real world can you tell any difference when pedalling?

It is said, I am sure that its correct, that the Keos are better for more road miles as the load is spread across a wider area of the foot. But with modern ultra stiff soles, surely the load is equally distributed anyway, regardless of what pedal type you chose?

My question is based on the fact that in a couple of weeks time we are riding LeJOG, and up till last week I intended to ride in my normal Keo equipped summer shoes.

But now I am leaning towards using my SPDs eqipped MTB shoes instead. The big plus (as we all know) for the SPDs is the fact that you can walk around without knackering your Look cleats.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Yes.

SPDs are too narrow for my size 8.1/2 feet, and during the brief time I tried them I was getting knee trouble when climbing out of the saddle because there was no support for the outside of the foot.

I can tell the difference between an SPD and a Look type pedal as soon as I clip in, the bigger platform of the Look is immediately obvious.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
I tend to get more of a pain in the ball of my foot when using SPDs for long rides, it does feel like the pressure is on a smaller area.

But then again I don't have a really expensive pair of shoes, so maybe it's that...

farina

I have been using SPD pedals with my race bike for a while and find them perfectly comfortable. One niggle I do have is that I get a lot of squeeking going up hills, now is that a) my legs :blush: the shoes or c) the pedals.. Any answers appreciated

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
farina said:
I have been using SPD pedals with my race bike for a while and find them perfectly comfortable. One niggle I do have is that I get a lot of squeeking going up hills, now is that a) my legs :evil: the shoes or c) the pedals.. Any answers appreciated
I suffered the SPD squeak too. I think it may be because of the metal cleat.

yello

Deltas in my case but, yes, I can tell the difference. Without doubt. Do I benefit from the difference? Hmmmm.... to be entirely honest, I'm not at all sure about that one but I think so.

iendicott

I am using SPD's on both Hybrid and Road bike. Not tried SPD SL or Look etc but have no issues with the SPD's. Not sure there is much benefit for me with the SPD SL Look.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
farina said:
One niggle I do have is that I get a lot of squeeking going up hills, now is that a) my legs :rolleyes: the shoes or c) the pedals.. Any answers appreciated
I think it's the rubber on the shoe against the pedal - I get the same, mostly when it's wet.

as for the difference - I don't like SPDs for long (1hr +) distances, unless those are done at touring speed.

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
John the Monkey said:
as for the difference - I don't like SPDs for long (1hr +) distances, unless those are done at touring speed.

That's where I am really, where riding to and from work or messing about with the kids, then its SPDs every time.

For faster paced riding or riding of any great distance, then I do prefer the LOOK pedals.

Our LeJOG trip although its 130 miles a day, but the pace will be a lot slower. And by its very nature, with cafe stops, walking when it gets to tough (:rolleyes:) etc etc, would suggest that it will suit the SPD better I think?

At the beginning of the week I fitted SPDs to my normal road bike so I'll spend the week and also this coming weekend riding with them and see how I get on.

GrasB

Veteran
Yes I can tell, but only when I'm really attacking an incline in a very high gear, say on my fixie. Besides that I can't really tell the difference.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I've used original Look and SPD, and I'm quite happy to ride with either. The ability to walk without knackering the cleats and sliding about gets SPDs my vote.

redjedi

Über Member
Smokin Joe said:
Yes.

SPDs are too narrow for my size 8.1/2 feet, and during the brief time I tried them I was getting knee trouble when climbing out of the saddle because there was no support for the outside of the foot.

I can tell the difference between an SPD and a Look type pedal as soon as I clip in, the bigger platform of the Look is immediately obvious.

+1 but with size 12 feet.

After using my Keos exclusively for about 7 months, I went back to using the SPDs on my new commuter, and I really do notice the difference.
They're fine for my commute, but I can notice a flex on the outside of the shoe even with stiff soled Spesh GB Comp MTB shoes.

What would be ideal is a pair of shoes with recessed look/SPD-S cleats.

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
redjedi said:
What would be ideal is a pair of shoes with recessed look/SPD-S cleats.

I have two pairs of Spesh BG MTB shoes, as well as three pairs of Spesh BG road shoes.

By far the best fit shoes for me are my carbon soled road shoes, and as good as my carbon soled MTB shoes are, my foot is not held as secure.

Hence when pulling my foot on the up stroke when pedalling, there is a lot of foot movement within the shoe, in comparison with the road version anyway.

Now I can get rid of this movement by adding a very thin shoe insert under the BG foot pad, so it packs the shoe out. Which is great for a few miles but as my feet swell, the tops of my pinkies rub on the inside of the shoe. :smile:

Top Bottom