Be Nice to Me - I'm knew to this

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Amokoh

I've just started cycling to work (Ealing to Paddington) and the biggest difficulty I'm having is with other cyclists. I'm still a bit nervous at cycling in the capital and I'm getting to grips with complicated junctions, new road signs and cycle lanes slowly and cycling quite slowly as a result but I really expected a bit more patience and tolerance from other cyclists. Aren't we all in it together? Shouldn't there be some solidarity?

Last Wednesday I was happily cycling along when some guy (not a boy, a man is his 30's/40's) overtook me shouting 'give it some welly, you're not in the gym now, it's meant to move'. I can't repeat what was said to me this morning when I failed to set up quickly enough for some guys liking at the traffic lights.

It's really putting me off. The tube was friendlier. Is it just because I'm knew to this or does this happed to everybody?

Hiya,

Its never happened to me but I don't commute in London but I don't recall the many London based forumers ever saying similar.
The bloke on Wednesday maybe thought they were being funny or were even trying to help you/ inspire you. Don't take it too personally whatever folk say if they have a problem its their problem ignore them.

ZIZAG

Veteran
:rolleyes: Hello And Welcome . Dont get Dispondant .:wacko:
Fight back . Just dont take any notice from them .
Silence Is golden .
Or you could tell them .
"To go and **** themselves with a rotating pineapple ". :laugh: :angry: :wub: Whoops!!!!!!!!

Munchkin100

Ignore them, I cycle for liesure and take the car to work but I had a similar experience with a guy in a car who was so abusive towards me and for what? because he had to wait a few seconds to get around me in traffic!. Although he couldnt hear what I said to him, Im sure he saw my hand gesture!

Dont give up, cycling is the way to go. Its relatively free (once you have bought the transport of your choice and accessories) and the the think of the health aspects (assuming we are not going to die from breathing in all those fumes out there!) but hey I like it and on the whole the cyclists I have met out on my travels have been so friendly and encouraging.

Im loving it!:hello:

martint235

Dog on a bike
As others have said just ignore them. I've been commuting in London for many years and it will take some time to get your confidence up. Once your confidence and fitness build you'll get a little bit quicker.

Be respectful of the rules so don't RLJ, cycle on pavements etc. If you come up behind a group of cyclists at a red, don't pull round them and in front of them given that you're not currently the quickest off the blocks, that may wind people up.

And finally, come along to Hyde Park Corner at 9.30 on a Sunday morning for the pootle. This is an informal ride (see the informal rides section) and generally goes at a conversational speed for a coffee somewhere. This will help give you confidence for your commute and also maybe introduce you to some short cuts/nicer routes you could use on your commute. :hello:

OP
OP
A

Amokoh

Now I'm going to prove how much of a novice I am to commuter cycling, although I cycled for leisure for years. What does RLJ mean?

I'll definately try to make it down to Hyde Park some Sunday, just need to persaude my partner to have the kids for thee morning.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Now I'm going to prove how much of a novice I am to commuter cycling, although I cycled for leisure for years. What does RLJ mean?

I'll definately try to make it down to Hyde Park some Sunday, just need to persaude my partner to have the kids for thee morning.

RLJ = Red Light Jumping.

Welcome to the forum btw and as Martin mentioned. Come along to Hyde Park Corner on a Sunday morning for a pootle and a coffee. You will be more then welcome.

frank9755

Cyclist
What time do you go in?

I go from Ealing, past Paddington and on to London Bridge. I'll ride in with you one day if you like.
I agree you get a few nutters on Uxbridge Road!

As the others have said, don't let obnoxious cyclists put you off and come on the Sunday ride! If you ever want a buddy to ride to Hyde Park corner with then just shout and I'm sure someone will be happy to help.

If you are still quite slow at the moment I'd try to use the bike lanes where possible, then faster cyclists can go past you on the road. Don't let people bully you into RLJing, but perhaps hang back and to the left if you are slow off the mark, and never go up the left hand side of another cyclist. Stick at it and you'll be speeding along in no time.

Oh and watch out for Addison Lee taxis - worst drivers in London in my experience!

OP
OP
A

Amokoh

Thanks for all the messages of support and the invites for Sunday. I'll defo try to get my partner to take charge of the kids one Sunday so I can come along a meet you all.

Frank, I leave at about 8.30am because I work part time hours around childcare but I might be able to leave earlier on Tuesdays if my partner gets his way at work and works from home that day. What time do you normally set off?

Today's commute was pretty good. Everybody seemed to be taking it easy and enjoying the sunshine, so it felt more like pleisure cycling than taking part in the Tour de France.

frank9755

Cyclist
Thanks for all the messages of support and the invites for Sunday. I'll defo try to get my partner to take charge of the kids one Sunday so I can come along a meet you all.

Frank, I leave at about 8.30am because I work part time hours around childcare but I might be able to leave earlier on Tuesdays if my partner gets his way at work and works from home that day. What time do you normally set off?

Today's commute was pretty good. Everybody seemed to be taking it easy and enjoying the sunshine, so it felt more like pleisure cycling than taking part in the Tour de France.

I'm not going in tomorrow but could meet at 8:30 on Thursday morning if you like? I'm in West Ealing, so anywhere along Uxbridge Road would work.

Frank

Top Bottom