Bealach Beag

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
No I'm not but as an outsider I'm curious about the word Beag. I see it often here and no dictionary has explained it properly to me. I understand that it is little or small in Gaelic but it never makes sense when I see it used in conjunction with what I think are place names.

OP
OP
Sunny Portrush
Yeah, it means small and it`s doesnt really make sense in relation to some of the places names - after all, Aonach Beag means small ridge lol. In this case, because the organisers have two sportives up Bealach Na Ba, as the one on the 18th is the smaller version, they have called it Bealach Beag.

Yeah, it means small and it`s doesnt really make sense in relation to some of the places names - after all, Aonach Beag means small ridge lol. In this case, because the organisers have two sportives up Bealach Na Ba, as the one on the 18th is the smaller version, they have called it Bealach Beag.
Aha, that makes sense to me. As in "that willy is beag." Yes?

Here where I live is a footpath marked Laosbang (SP?) Beag so I assume it little something other called Laosbang.

What is the correct pronunciation? Beg with a hard g or beag with a guttural g?

snorri

Legendary Member
. I understand that it is little or small in Gaelic but it never makes sense when I see it used in conjunction with what I think are place names.

It makes sense when there are two hills called Aonach as there are, Aonach Mor is bigger in mass than Aonach Beag, similarly the two nearby hills in Wester Ross, Cul Mor and Cul Beag.
Beag is pronounced as a short 'pick' rather than the longer word beg in English language.

It makes sense when there are two hills called Aonach as there are, Aonach Mor is bigger in mass than Aonach Beag, similarly the two nearby hills in Wester Ross, Cul Mor and Cul Beag.
Beag is pronounced as a short 'pick' rather than the longer word beg in English language.
I don't get the pick thing. What other word sounds similar or lets ask admin for a phonetic script option.
What then is Mor and how is that pronounced?

OP
OP
Sunny Portrush
Aonach Mor means............wait for it..................big ridge lol

snorri

Legendary Member
I don't get the pick thing. What other word sounds similar or lets ask admin for a phonetic script option.
What then is Mor and how is that pronounced?
Hey don't push me, I'm not a Gaelic scholar^_^
The Gaelic word 'beag' sounds like the English word pick
The Gaelic Mor means great, of great size, tall, important. Pronounced maur or mawr. As in Glen More, the great glen, or Donald Mor..Big Donald.

Heigue'r

Veteran
Aha, that makes sense to me. As in "that willy is beag." Yes?

Here where I live is a footpath marked Laosbang (SP?) Beag so I assume it little something other called Laosbang.

Pronounce it like you say jug as in be-ug, mòr is pronounced moor

Top Bottom