Bealach na Ba

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Waspie

Über Member
Planning to enter the Bealach Mor sportive next year and was looking for a bit of advice regarding gearing.

My smallest gear currently is 40*25 and I'm thinking that running that sort of gearing may be slightly/very foolhardy? Any advice from anyone who has ridden over the Bealach?

Cheers.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Depending on the weather, crampons and an ice axe.

Ahem. It's a long long climb in tough conditions at any time of year. I'd drop to 34X28 bottom unless you were Dave Cotty.

OP
OP
Waspie

Waspie

Über Member
I don't know who Dave Cotty is, but if he is some sort big gear grinding hill climber - no I'm not!

Thanks for the advice. 34*28 is going to mean a new rear derailleur I think. Hmm..

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Is it done from the max 10% side then Dan?

My apologies- I may have given the impression that i've ridden the bloody thing. I've only looked at it- stayed nearby but I didn't have me bike with me at the time :girl:.

it is chuffing windy up there though.

OP
OP
Waspie

Waspie

Über Member
http://www.zanibike....Applecross.aspx

Looking at this, it doesn't get above 10%.

Ah, from the other side it gets up to 22%

http://www.zanibike....Tornapress.aspx

serious stuff. I've done such gradients on a triple of 30 x 25 so I suspect Dan is right.

Ooft!

I think the route goes from the Tornapress side.

On my current gearing the 'worst' hills I have done is the climb to the Cairngorm Ski centre, that wasn't too bad, and Redstone Rigg in East Lothian. Redstone Rigg has a sign at the bottom of it saying 17% (I think) I don't know if that means it is 17% at it's steepest or as an average, what I do know is that I really struggle at the steepest part and if it was any steeper or longer I'm not sure I would make it.

New gearing it is then.

Does anyone know what the rest of the Bealach Mor route is like apart from the Bealach itself - looks pretty lumpy from the profile.

aberal

Guru
Ooft!

I think the route goes from the Tornapress side.

On my current gearing the 'worst' hills I have done is the climb to the Cairngorm Ski centre, that wasn't too bad, and Redstone Rigg in East Lothian. Redstone Rigg has a sign at the bottom of it saying 17% (I think) I don't know if that means it is 17% at it's steepest or as an average, what I do know is that I really struggle at the steepest part and if it was any steeper or longer I'm not sure I would make it.

New gearing it is then.

Does anyone know what the rest of the Bealach Mor route is like apart from the Bealach itself - looks pretty lumpy from the profile.

Yeah, you're right, I reckon your gearing would be a bit too high. It's not a macho thing - it would just spoil your fun.

I haven't done the Bealach Mhor, but did the Bealach Beag this year. A mere 43 miles and probably the hardest 43 miles I've ever done. The long climb up the Bealach itself isn't so bad, it's just a long 6 mile grind, although at the steepest bit near the top I'd had enough and had to get off and push for 100m or so. To answer your question, the rest of the route once you're over the top and down the other side is a long series of switchbacks which seem to go on for ever. And it's apparently always windy and its always into your face. So they say, the old hands do say. The thing is - the big climb up the Bealach early on does sap your strength, making the rest of the ride a bit of a trial. I really enjoyed it though, all in all, hard as it was. It was a great ride and stunningly beautiful.

Edit: Just remembered - to put the Bealach in perspective, Alpe D'Huez is 8 miles long and averages 8% with a maximum of 10.6%.

Noodley

It's a bugger of a climb...you'll have already had one hard climb by the time you get there and the coast road afterwards is tough as well - some say it's tougher than the climb! It's harder than Cairngorm and Redstone Rigg. It starts off easily then gets progressively harder before levelling a bit before the final hairpins (which are not too bad). I'd go for lower gears...

The first time I did it was very hot and the second time it was freezing and blowing a gale and raining - both in the same month, different years.

Fiona N

Veteran
I haven't cycled the pass but a few years ago had the unhappy experience of being a passenger in a car driven by a beginner - all I can say is thank goodness we went up the less steep side or we'd be still there doing hill starts :wacko:

I do remember thinking it would make an exciting ride that way round and an extremely hard one taken in the opposite direction.

Top Bottom