Beam rack twisting.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well this is kind of obvious that a beam rack attached to a seat post will twist but its not that bad on the main road bike and MTB, none of the rubber shims will fit and it sits on nice and tight, with almost no wobble (and I cannot push it around).

But, the fixed has a smaller post so I have to use the smallest rubber shims... and it moves around loads. I and others cannot even get it tight enough on the lever to stop it doing so, 1 turn less is too loose of course.

Even if I did get it on tight, it would be a pain in the arse to swap around, which is it's entire point.

Any ideas to try?

I hate the bloody things for this very reason. They're bollocks. Give up and buy a real rack such as a Blackburn EX-1. Lifetime warranty so you 'll only buy it once. Can carry a good sized child too.

buddha

Veteran
My Topeak beam rack is useless as a rack.
However, I welded/bolted the rear to an upright steel girder and use it as a workstand.

OP
OP
D

DrSquirrel

I hate the bloody things for this very reason. They're bollocks. Give up and buy a real rack such as a Blackburn EX-1. Lifetime warranty so you 'll only buy it once. Can carry a good sized child too.

I don't want to buy a rack for all 3 bikes, and neither does the main road bike have mounts (or would I want to use pclips).

I had the same thought that snailracer mentioned, metal shims... I think I have some spare ones around from something else that might just fit... tape the buggers to the fixed seat post so I don't have to move them around... super.

I don't have a problem with the beam rack HOWEVER I only really use it for the MTB - it does go on my road bike occasioanlly - the tourer has a full rack

Not much difference in seatpost diameter though on my bikes

As for coke can shims....make sure you carry elastoplasts in your beam bag! More carefully made shims - here's a random thought popped into my head - a piece of old tyre? Cut across so the shape of the tyre naturally wraps around the seatpost?

OP
OP
D

DrSquirrel

I got some metal shims that were off my aero bars. They don't completely fit around the seat post but with a bit of effort could be opened up... I only had 3 (halfs) of the small ones and 1 of the big (so could only make 1 full shim).

Anyway, I put 3 up the back of the post, taped them into place, and put the beam rack on it, perfect... yes the metal shims are going to bite into the metal post a bit but the post is nothing special.

Top Bottom