Bearings

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sciberius

Hi everyone,i try to adjust high handlebars and wanna know what bearings i need any or any special? Bike is orbea carpe 10 thank you
image.jpg

Ajax Bay

Guru
:welcome:Why do the bearings need changing? I take it the steerer tube is right up to the top of the stem clamp.

OP
OP
S

Sciberius

Ajax Bay

Guru
Only way to make the bars higher with the fork you have is to have a 'high angle' stem.
In OP image you can see yours is + or - 6%. I can't tell if it's already 'flipped' but even doing so (75mm stem) will raise the bars a mere 15mm.
I suspect an 'adjustable' one might be your best solution. Something like this:
https://www.tredz.co.uk/.System-EX-Adjustable-Stem_24665.htm?
You need to measure the diameter of your bars (the stem clamp section (25.4mm or 31.8mm) and if the 75mm current stem is right for you (in terms of reach) then the 90/95mm option would seem best. When cranked up to 30+ degrees, this would give a virtual 75mm (roughly).
Otherwise you'll need to get a new fork with a longer steerer tube (last resort). The stem clamps to the steerer tube: no steerer tube: no effective clamping. There are cunning steerer tube extenders but go for the adjustable (see above) unless this is aesthetically unacceptable.

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Only way to make the bars higher with the fork you have is to have a 'high angle' stem.
In OP image you can see yours is + or - 6%. I can't tell if it's already 'flipped' but even doing so (75mm stem) will raise the bars a mere 15mm.
You need to measure the diameter of your bars (the stem clamp section (25.4mm or 31.8mm) and if the 75mm current stem is right for you (in terms of reach) then the 90/95mm option would seem best. When cranked up to 30+ degrees, this would give a virtual 75mm (roughly).
Otherwise you'll need to get a new fork with a longer steerer tube (last resort). The stem clamps to the steerer tube: no steerer tube: no effective clamping. There are cunning steerer tube extenders but go for the adjustable (see above) unless this is aesthetically unacceptable.
Yep, you need a 'higher angle' stem and possibly a longer one, loads available

1649732355822.png

raleighnut

Legendary Member

View attachment 639570

GuyBoden

Guru
If you can't reach the handlebars comfortably, try some Pilates back exercises every morning, after a few weeks of Pilates, you might find that you don't need to adjust the stem height.:okay:

Ajax Bay

Guru
A bit of trigonometry will allow the OP to work out how long the 'higher angle' stem needs to be.
A 30 degree stem will lift the bars half its length and reduce the reach by only 14%. A 90mm stem will match the OP's current stem (horizontally, 75mm).

Top Bottom