Beautility

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brokenbetty

Über Member
This is my interpretation of a Dutch bike. I hired one for a few days in Amsterdam and loved the ride but not the weight or the effort to get up teeny hills, so I decided to build a London version.

5119057954_8916e6b4d2_b.jpg

The low handlebars make it a slightly more aggressive ride than a Dutch bike for getting up hills, but it's still upright enough to sit back tall and cruise alone. The wheels and tyres are a little thinner as well which saves the weight. I can carry this fairly easily whereas the hired one I could barely lift.

I've been commuting on it for the last two weeks and I love so many things about this bike

shifting gear at the lights
that it stands up by itself
the I can lock it with a key like a car
that it encourages a laid back attitude
not having to faff around with panniers
that whoever broke into my bike shed last week decided it wasn't worth stealing!

Everyone should try one!

Davidc

Guru
I've ridden hired and borrowed dutch bikes in NL, and they are a bit heavy. Never worried me much though.

The ones for hire are quite a bit heavier than the ones people I've known own, and apart from a Dutch love of high handlebars the owned ones are a lot like your bike. It's a shame we don't have many bikes around like those. They're a comfortable round-town bike and good for general utility and shopping use, especially if you don't want or need to go more than about 10 mph, want to wear ordinary clothes, and arrive looking respectable and not exhausted.

Nice job.

Klaus

"the I can lock it with a key like a car"

Great looking bike - what is the name of that lock at the backwheel - I have seen that before ....??

OP
OP
brokenbetty

brokenbetty

Über Member
Great looking bike - what is the name of that lock at the backwheel - I have seen that before ....??

Thanks - I wasn't really going for looks, but the supplier I got the wheelset from only had black rims in, and the only handlebar I could get for that clamp (it's an odd size) was also black so it ended up surprisingly coordinated. I will admit to matching the cable ties to the white accents though. Matching cable ties - that's class :laugh:

It's an Axa Defender RL (aka "Nurses Lock"). The chain wrapped around the seatpost plugs into it as well.

It's not the best lock in the world but it's not the worst either. Anything portable enough to carry can be broken if someone really wants your bike. I'm really relying on thieves not being familiar with this type of lock and the bike not being desirable enough to justify the effort to learn.

Origamist

Legendary Member
That's a very nice utility bike - all you need now is a frame pump!

If I was a thief I'd have had the VO Porteur rack off in a matter of secs - it's beautiful.

Top Bottom