Beaver Hunting !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
How do the beavers know which way the tree will fall? Be a shame if after all that effort it fell away from the creek. Or do they rig up a rope and pull it over?
I wondered the same thing myself so I Googled it... They just have a lot of natural skill, but occasionally they do get caught out, sometimes fatally! I found a couple of reports with photos of dead beavers squashed by falling trees. One starved to death because its tail was trapped. :sad:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Oh NO!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I had always assumed that beavers fell trees right on the edge of the water so that they fall straight in. How on earth do they get a fallen tree from the land to the water? Do they assemble a team of 500 beavers to drag the trees in! :laugh:

OP
OP
Zipp2001

Zipp2001

Veteran
I had always assumed that beavers fell trees right on the edge of the water so that they fall straight in. How on earth do they get a fallen tree from the land to the water? Do they assemble a team of 500 beavers to drag the trees in! :laugh:

There is no way that they are blocking the river in this area. The river is to wide and the trees aren't close enough to the river. They have blocked it in other areas of the river and I just figured this is a training area for rookie beavers :wacko:

There is no way that they are blocking the river in this area. The river is to wide and the trees aren't close enough to the river. They have blocked it in other areas of the river and I just figured this is a training area for rookie beavers :wacko:

It's usually young beaver that fell away from the river. The last 5yrs we've had several litters popping up on the river near our house and always about 6-9 months later we get a spurge of trees being felled up to 100m away from any water. You see at first they practise on small saplings and then more on to bigger and bigger stuff. I've been down twice with the chainsaw so the girls can ride through (on horseback) as they have several times blocked the forest tracks and trails:laugh:

They are engineers in wooly clothes :laugh:

Top Bottom