Becoming invisible?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
karan733 said:
Not really, but the problem is you cant view whats said in context.

For example, some of the things posted are from when I was much younger and more immature, and although looking back at them now I dont find them embarrasing, they do not project an accurate reflection of who I am today to a prospective employer.

Ive grown up over time, but a google search of my username/email throws up my posts from a long time ago, and not in reverse chronological order either. To someone who is pushed for time and is deciding between candidates, they will not have the time to check what the dates are, or what the conversation I was responding to was about. If its something negative, thats my chance shot.

So all I want to do is remove posts from a few years ago which dont represent who I am or what I think anymore. But not sure how to go about this!

if it helps, i googled the tag Karen733 and all I found was pretty inoffensive memberships to cookery, camping and property sites along with a few tweets from an Ohio based teenage Karen 733 (not you I guess) and a reference to Karen Fenkel that was not in the slightest bit offensive.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
mark barker said:
If an employer is that shallow that they'd make judgments like that then personally I'd rather not work for them! If they are that quick to make judgments then you'd be paranoid for the rest of your career.

Karen may not be able to afford that luxury.

Besides, the people sifting will not likely be the actually employer, just someone who has been tasked the job of sifting, so they will not allow anything that raises even the sligtest concern as it could be their job on the line if they get it wrong.

its not paranoia...its reality, I'm afriad Employers do this as a matter of course for many positions of trust

OP
OP
karan733

karan733

Thanks Jonny, I think youve hit the nail on the head :ohmy:

jonny jeez said:
if it helps, i googled the tag Karen733 and all I found was pretty inoffensive memberships to cookery, camping and property sites along with a few tweets from an Ohio based teenage Karen 733 (not you I guess) and a reference to Karen Fenkel that was not in the slightest bit offensive.

BUT - I think you meant to search for karan733 :rolleyes: Still reasonably inoffensive though, but definitely not cookery!

OP
OP
karan733

karan733

mark barker said:
If an employer is that shallow that they'd make judgments like that then personally I'd rather not work for them! If they are that quick to make judgments then you'd be paranoid for the rest of your career.

Mark every bit of information I've read says that employers think its fair game to view your online presence when recruiting. Admittedly, it is more common in the US, but its going to become commonplace soon enough over here too according to what employers are saying.

Best get another email address I think!

taxing

My problem is that if potential employers Googled my name they might ignore the one result that actually refers to me (on a professional academic site) and look at some idiot's Myspace or Facebook. They're not mine but they're by girls in the same age range and someone just looking at my CV could easily assume.

Dan B

Disengaged member
karan733 said:
Mark every bit of information I've read says that employers think its fair game to view your online presence when recruiting. Admittedly, it is more common in the US, but its going to become commonplace soon enough over here too according to what employers are saying.
I was doing this ten years ago when I was in a position to be interviewing people. But since I was hiring web developers/web apps people I'd have been exceedingly disappointed if I couldn't find anything

Top Bottom