Bedroom condensation issue

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

XOXO
Dehumidifier?

I have this little moisture capturing sponge thing in my car. Works a treat as the wundscreen used to be dripping. You just microwave it to dry out when the display turns pink.

No idea if it'll work in a massively bigger volume but it was cheap as chips and probably worth a shot.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I have this little moisture capturing sponge thing in my car. Works a treat as the wundscreen used to be dripping. You just microwave it to dry out when the display turns pink.

No idea if it'll work in a massively bigger volume but it was cheap as chips and probably worth a shot.
Cat litter in a sock works just as well apparently.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Dehumidifiers are good. I use one in the winter months. They can be noisy though which isn't great in a bedroom.

You certainly don't want any chance of mould growing as it wouldn't be good for his health.

Drago

Legendary Member
They are a fire hazard as they set fire in seconds, I was told I had to get rid of some by the fire brigade.
indeed, that's why was thinking something like them, but a modern equivalent. Is there such a thing?

Is there access to the roof space above the ceiling?

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4730796, member: 45"]The walls have had cavity insulation blown in. It's the bit that goes into the roof that's the issue. I presume there has to be some venting up there from the eaves, so I don't know what can be done about insulating.[/QUOTE]
I think you just need a high level.air brick on one of the exterior walls (not the slopey ceiling. Make sure it has some form of shut off, like a slide panel, so that in the really cold nights it can be closed off.

Dont fit it above the bed. The cooler air falling will create a draft.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
You might be able to slide some insulation between the rafters. Not enough to block airflow, but just to cover the top of the ceiling. A slab of Celotex or similar, an inch or two less than the depth of the rafters, might work.

[QUOTE 4730723, member: 45"]Thanks. We had the same in the corner bedroom of the last house. We're on the side of a hill so I suspect any wind just increases the temperature differential on the wall.

I'm trying to get him to leave his window open at night but 15-year-olds don't seem to be as resilient as they used to be.

We've got one of those moisture traps and as it happens I have a shelf ready to fix. I'll put that up later and see how we get on.[/QUOTE]

No, don't do that unless you really want a shelf up there. Moisture traps (aka silica gel or "crystal cat litter" absorbs moisture from the air, but placing it next to the point of condensation won't help. It is the whole room's humidity that has to drop. You can't just de-humidify one spot. That's like thinking you can have a cold spot in the bath - it will mix in. Further, the condensation in one area simply shows you that the temperature of that spot is below the dew point, not that that spot is moist.

Cat litter is a cheap dehumidifier but you'll have to buy tons of the stuff to de-humidify the entire house. At best you can close that bedroom's door and attempt to isolate the one room. For that reason it works well in a sealed car. Unfortunately cat litter doesn't have the pink indicator Marky mentions. You'll never know when it is saturated or not, so you'll have to keep on drying it out every week or so.

Insulation and outside circulation are the only two real solutions.

You used to be able to buy insulation on a roll you could paste on like wallpaper. Whether you could conjure up a solution with that is another matter.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Reduce moisture in the house.

Typical sources are: clothes drying on airers/radiators, baths, showers, gas cookers, microwaves and cooking.
All of these fill the house with hot humid air. As soon as that touches a cold surface - instant condensation. That's why insulation helps (reduces cold surfaces).

Make sure steam can be ventilated from kitchen and bathrooms and not go into the rest of the house.

(says the person with open-plan living and solid walls with no insulation)

Top Bottom