Bedroom condensation issue

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
You used to be able to buy insulation on a roll you could paste on like wallpaper. Whether you could conjure up a solution with that is another matter.
We have installed this in my son's bedroom. It isnt cheap but it works, it is fiberous, a bit like cotton, and slightly spongy to touch.

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p43...roduct=43007&gclid=CPvgrc_w59ICFciRGwodCwAM7g

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
[QUOTE 4731112, member: 45"]I might just make him sleep outside in a tent. And build a model railway in his bedroom.[/QUOTE]
Build a treehouse, no condensation issues and it's easier to explain to social services.

Globalti

Legendary Member
When you crawl around in the attic unrolling glass wool it's hard to get it right out to the point where the roof meets the ceiling joists and that's where cold spots occur. We have the same in our bathroom along the top of the outer wall.

The best thing we ever did was to insulate Gtij's cold bedroom with Kingspan and insulated plasterboard. From being the coldest most miserable room in the house it's become the quietest and it warms up when he plays GTA on his computer and the fan knocks out warm air.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Depends how much you want to spend. There are things like Kair's heat recovery ventilators. You would probably need someone to install it into the wall. They are relatively efficient because air going out warms the air coming in. They deal with humidity. They are supposedly quite quiet. That said, I doubt I'd get one myself. I would probably try installing trickle vents in the window first.

pplpilot

Guru
Been there done that. Get a dehumidifier. End of story. Do some research find a quiet one and put it on the landing somewhere. No need to place it in the room that has issues, air will find its way around your house. We had terrible damp and condensation, put a dehumidifier in and within a month it was sorted. When we first put it in, it ran flat out for about 2 weeks without cutting out and was shifting about 10 litres every 24 hrs. It now runs as it should and cuts in and out as and when it needs to. It now gathers about a litre every 36 hrs or so.

gavgav

Guru
Moisture Boxes. We use them in our static caravan, over the winter and they catch a serious amount of moisture. Cheap from places like Poundland, etc.

Mrs M

Guru
IMG_0975.JPG
Unibond aero 360 work well for trapping moisture.
We have one in the spare room where I hang clothes to dry, amazing how quickly they fill up.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
If the room is double glazed, make sure that the trickle vents on the window are open - it's surprising the difference they make as the double glazing just seals the room otherwise.
The real trouble is that a small room like a bedroom with a human breathing out warm air or 6-8 hours a night is going to create some moisture. The moisture boxes are a good idea (you might want to get the unscented ones) - Asda do them for a quid, but the real answer is a dehumidifier.

We had all sorts of problems with condensation and the damp that goes with it and while the other stuff helped, it was the dehumidifier that finally solves it.
We've got a Blys 10L one from B&Q and it does just the trick.

Top Bottom