Beefcake!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Came 2nd in Christmas Eve Police v Council v Fire lifting compo. Was heading for a win but my belt broke on the deadlift at a fairly sedate 100kg and it wasn't really safe for soneone my height to continue beyond that without the support. Made the points back up by going to 170kg on the standing row, and boy is my back feeling it today!

Anyway, although this as a semi-informal competition between associates in different organisations, it really rekindled my enthusiasm which had waned after missing a Natiobal lifting event in Sheffield recently due to illness.

This enthusiasm is going to be nurtured, and I've set myself the goal of radically improving my strength in 2013, and aiming for increased lean muscle mass, perhaps to 120kg from the current 111 to get me truly competitive for my height.

Age goes against be knocking as I am on the door of 44, but this shouldn't be insurmountable. There are pros in this years WSM older than me and plenty of veterans competing into their 60's. in my favour, I'm a big fan if sports psychology and I'm convinced one of my biggest assets is my bloody-mindedness, which is linked to my high pain threshold.

So I'm going to be ramping up the training from now into the Spring with a view to entering sone more lifting competitions, and branching out into some strongman events, becoming a BOSS (Brother Of the Steel and Stone).

This isn't directly related, but cycling will play a part. My only cardio outlet is the bike so ill be ramping up the mileage on two wheels. I may also be pestering you lot for your thoughts on techniques, injury recovery etc, and ill keep a training blog updated regularly on here, and maybe bring the Forum sone glory if I get any success competing in the summer.

Chin chin,

Drago.

mark st1

Plastic Manc
Sounds intense keep eating the spinach ugg ugg ugg ugg ugg.

Good luck with exceeding your goals Merry Christmas.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Sounds fun
My dad used to train with Tony Ford and as an amatuer was west mids lightweight champion in his day although he was doing the clean and jerk etc rather than deadlifts .
I do remember him telling me about doing sets of 1 though in training .

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Sounds fun
My dad used to train with Tony Ford and as an amatuer was west mids lightweight champion in his day although he was doing the clean and jerk etc rather than deadlifts .
I do remember him telling me about doing sets of 1 though in training .
Yeah, the clean and jerk, overhead presses etc are hard work for the tall and long limbed like wot I am, so respect to your pops for that. Squats are my real thang, and the cycling probably does no harm there. I'm pretty comfortable on the deadlift too, with or without straps or fatbars, so when it's time to tailor the training a bit ill be concentrating on the higher up stuff.

cyberknight

Yeah, the clean and jerk, overhead presses etc are hard work for the tall and long limbed like wot I am, so respect to your pops for that. Squats are my real thang, and the cycling probably does no harm there. I'm pretty comfortable on the deadlift too, with or without straps or fatbars, so when it's time to tailor the training a bit ill be concentrating on the higher up stuff.
My dad was 5 foot 6" and 10 stones but had gorilla arms compared to short legs , i think his fave was the sqaut clean ( not sure of the right names ) but nutrition and training has come a long way in 50 years , more than double his bodyweight though at the time was a regular lift .

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!

Congrats! I only recently added a bit of weights to my training - not to compete, just to bulk up a bit after m fat got burnt off with the cycling. I was proud of doing my 8 reps at 50kg on the standing row til you came along with your 170!

cyberknight

Perhaps everyone could stop talking about their dead dads and get back to the topic of appreciating Drago's awesomeness...??
Indeed tiny newt please accept my apology and remember our departed at their best rather than sniping over the web :hugs:
As for weights i only have a total gym and probably do a circuit twice a week wich is weedy compared to anyone else but its all the time i get with 2 young kids , as for drago..:smile:
south-park-beefcake-4001494.jpg

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Perhaps everyone could stop talking about their dead dads and get back to the topic of appreciating Drago's awesomeness...??
Damn you're good!

Day one of my new training plan today. Deadlift, 6 sets starting at 10 reps on 80kg down to 3 reps at 310kg.

Leg curls, 5 sets 10 reps.

Lunges on the Smith machine. 5 sets of 10 with 110kg on the bar. Never tried that one before and my legs were most jelly like on the ride home!

Standing calf raises on the Smith machine with the same 110 on the bar, 5 sets,

That was the main thrust, but I chucked in a quick seated cable row up to 220lbs (no more weights on the stack beyond that) and 5 sets 20 reps curls with 40kg just to keep limbered up. The main thrust was legs today but I like a little light arm work every time or my bionic elbow starts to stiffen.

Got an appointment tomorrow to keep me busy so some back and shoulder work scheduled for my fullybequipped home gym (AKA the conservatory with my bench and weights in a corner behind the stacks of crap that doesn't have a home anywhere else.

PS, Stephec, I'd like to be comfortably North of 400kg on the deadlift before too long.

Top Bottom