Beeline Velo sat nav

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grldtnr

Whilst I am certainly fine with a map clipped to the handlebars to find my way, I kind of enjoy doing old skool navigation on a bike, it has its limitations when recumbent tricycling, it's very inconvenient to mount a map to hand to read easily.
So, looking at trying Sat nav for bikes, browsing t'intereeb , I came across the Beeline velo or Moto device, I am interested in getting such a device, but uncertain which one to get, the Velo is for cycles, the Moto for motorbikes, my conundrum is I have recently bought a scooter.
My question is ,is it worth paying extra for the dedicated Moto version , which as far as I can see, has a higher standard of weather protection, and more mounting options, over the Velo version, which has just the one method to attach it to the bars.
The App the Beeline uses ,you can toggle for bicycle or Motorcycle use, the unit is essentially just a repeater for the phone app, or any other electronic wackery it works from.

To complicate things ,there is a newer version being released in June.

What's the hive mind on the Beeline ?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
https://www.cyclist.co.uk/reviews/7377/beeline-velo-navigational-bike-computer-review
I would fine the need for it to be linked to your mobile device and the arrow guidance a poor choice for my preferred method of a map like interface with a car like gps turn by turn guidance ,There are a number of brands and devices that offer this and all have their own fans a bit like mobile phones :smile:
My current choice is the garmin edge explore, admittedly more expensive but can be found on offer from time to time

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2018/07/garmin-edge-explore-review.html

OP
OP
grldtnr

grldtnr

Agree with @cyberknight , check out the Garmin Explore. I've had one a few months now and it looks like, finally, Garmin have got everything right with this device.

When riding the scooter, no problem with keeping such devices powered and charged,
But if I am cycling, I don't have the option to do that, I could charge from my solar panel when camping, but it isn't always possible, plus if you plug it in to charge, there is always the chance it will 'navigate' away in someone's pocket !
The Beeline holds charge for 30 hrs, presumably it charg s quickly from solar chargers, my phone charges quick enough from the solar, I rarely run it short of charge.
Other devices, may not be as portable, or as easy to charge, that's my main point of view.
As for the way the Beeline gives its info, not a problem for me, as I kind of use that kind of notation method, if not carrying a map.
I think I kind off made my mind up,make a Beeline for the Bee line!

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Standalone cycling device is the way to go. Beeline is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. I used my Edge 705 to navigate 120 miles (and the same again the next day) on a Honda PCX with no issues, I now have two mounts ready to use my eTrex 30x on my Yamahas. An eTrex will easily do 25 hours on a couple of rechargeable AAs even if you don't use the battery saver mode (rode over 18 hours on Good Friday and it barely hit the battery), and will happily run off USB power if available (though USB cannot charge those batteries, you'd just carry a spare set if needed, or go shopping...). Most Edge models (and competitors like Wahoo, Hammerhead, Bryton…) will do 15-20 hours on internal battery power alone & can be powered and recharged by USB. All give you more features and more flexibility than the Beeline, potentially for the same or less money even bought new.

Last edited:

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I'm also not hugely convinced. It depends on having a link to your phone that's generally going to be much more battery-hungry than any dedicated GPS unit I've ever used, especially with BT enabled. The interface has a nice graphical simplicity but the lack of precision for complex road junctions would probably have you reaching for your phone anyway. There are so many good, mature, dedicated nav options out there for sensible money that I'd struggle to see where this fits in.

.....I used my Edge 705 to navigate 120 miles (and the same again the next day) on a Honda PCX with no issues, ...
If ever a Cyclechat museum opens, I'd have your 705 as one of the main exhibits. Considering the miles you do I'm amazed it's still going!

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
I'm also not hugely convinced. It depends on having a link to your phone that's generally going to be much more battery-hungry than any dedicated GPS unit I've ever used, especially with BT enabled. The interface has a nice graphical simplicity but the lack of precision for complex road junctions would probably have you reaching for your phone anyway. There are so many good, mature, dedicated nav options out there for sensible money that I'd struggle to see where this fits in.

If ever a Cyclechat museum opens, I'd have your 705 as one of the main exhibits. Considering the miles you do I'm amazed it's still going!

That 705 (my third) died, sadly…hence the eTrex!

Top Bottom