Been invited my first tour/trail...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
The vet at work has asked if I fancy the Trans Pennine Trail this August. A women only 'do' for a laugh and a challenge.

Trouble is, I don't do that many big rides - 30 milers being my biggest and that's been here and there tbh.

I'm totally blind as to what to expect and could do with a bit of advice before I commit. xx( Firstly, the bike. Do I take the FB road bike, the MTB or the fairly heavy hybrid?

I do fancy it but don't want to look a total novice and also let the side down.

On the plus side, the friend who has asked is 20 years older, decent fitness and wants a pootle rather than a race. :biggrin:

andym

Über Member
Sounds fun. If you've already done 30-mile rides (not to mention owning three bikes) then it's probably unlikely you'll look a total novice.

Hopefully someone with direct experience will be along, but in the meantime there's shedloads of information on the website. It all sounds fairly gentle - railway paths, canal towpaths (although these kinds of surfaces can be more tiring than tarmac). Nice wide slick tyres would be a good idea. Click on the map on the home page for detailed information.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Snapper, when Mrs Monkey and I did our Tiny Tour of Belgium, she'd done 15 miles in one go as her longest ride. We did at least 40 a day on tour, just taking it easy (10-11mph average, with luggage, of course).

I reckon you'll be fine.

What's the vet taking. I guess the word 'trail' rules the roadbike out? If you're struggling, she'll at least be able to put you out your misery :biggrin:

Sounds great by the way, something to look forward to. I reckon the MTB with Andy's wide slick recommendation.

OP
OP
snapper_37

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
Crackle said:
What's the vet taking. I guess the word 'trail' rules the roadbike out? If you're struggling, she'll at least be able to put you out your misery :biggrin:

Saddle bags of Ketamine at the ready :biggrin:

P's bike is a hybrid. We've done a bit of cycling together last year with Stourbugs, I can't remember the make/model etc though.

Thanks for the advice and linkies!!!

Top Bottom