Been punished for any good deeds lately?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

anothersam

SMIDSMe
m9nDntt.jpg

Yesterday evening a lamb got caught in the fence in a field in front of our house. Not my lamb, not my fence, but <sigh> my responsibility, once I’d seen it. Shepherd wouldn't be around until the next day.

I had to crawl under some barbed wire, practically in the dirt, to retrieve it (fortunately they go limp once you grab them).

Afterwards, realised I’d set my elbow down in some nettles.

OUCH.

No good deed goes unpunished, etc.

Any examples for you?

Bless you for your good deed Sammy, but I was expecting your story to end with a farmer's shotgun, or at least a serious barbed-wire injury.
Nettles?? :laugh:

Skibird

View attachment 514459

Yesterday evening a lamb got caught in the fence in a field in front of our house. Not my lamb, not my fence, but <sigh> my responsibility, once I’d seen it. Shepherd wouldn't be around until the next day.

I had to crawl under some barbed wire, practically in the dirt, to retrieve it (fortunately they go limp once you grab them).

Afterwards, realised I’d set my elbow down in some nettles.

OUCH.

No good deed goes unpunished, etc.

Any examples for you?
Before the lockdown, I was out cycling and came across a motorcyclist who was in a ditch (because of an idiot in a car). I stopped to check they were OK, and saw it was a girl. Long story short, called hubby to come and take her and her bike home as he has a van, which he did. On his way back home, he stopped to talk to a neighbour, whose great big (and lovely) dog, decided he needed to get closer and jumped up at the van, leaving scratches over it...........................and it was a new van!

Drago

Legendary Member
Years ago I was out for a ride and found a dead cat. It had a collar, so I made a note of the owners details and when I got home I thought I'd do the decent thing and phoned them. "You murderer!", she screamed. "You killed my cat!", even though I had done no such thing. she then became hysterical and I may have accidentally hung up the phone. So from good Samaritan to suspected murderer in one phone call.

wonderloaf

Veteran
Last spring whilst out on my Sunday morning ride went past a field full of sheep which had the gates wide open. Being a good citizen I thought I'd close the gates to stop the sheep escaping. As I rode away feeling pretty pleased with myself I heard someone shout " For f**ks sake, who shut the f**king gates!" Seems the shepherd had left the gates open to move the sheep out of the field.
I managed a PB on that particular Strava segment that day :laugh:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
A mate and I were off for a long day in the Lakeland Fells when we came across a sheep doing a hang 4 in a cattle grid betwixt Wrynose & Hardknott passes. Observations:

Sheep are as thick as two short planks and are incapable of recognising a friendly helping hand when they are getting one (or four in this case).

Sheep stink something awful - a cloying gut wrenching smell that does not leave your hands or clothes until both are thoroughly washed (unfortunately not an option at the time).

Sheep are greasy - their wool holds enough grease to lubricate a whole fleet of bikes.

Sheep - are ungrateful sods who can land a fair blow from a cloven hoof on your arm as you attempt to extract them from difficult situations.

Horrible things.

Top Bottom