Beer bellies & Mummy tummies!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

purplemoon

*****MAJOR RANT ALERT*****

:biggrin:

Having spent the last few days scouring the internet and phoning cycle/sports shops looking for suitable clothing, especially women's, in larger sizes (i.e. anything above a size 14/16) I am becoming increasingly frustrated and angry that there appears to be virtually nothing available in the UK :angry:

I did manage to find one company that makes a select few items in a size 18/20 only to find that the proportions were all wrong and do not provide a generous and comfortable fit :smile:

Why oh why do manufacturers not cater for different body shapes, rather than just increasing the overall size of a garment by an inch or two whilst keeping the same proportions more suited to a Kate Moss type figure!

The vast majority of us "fatties" especially in the 40+ age bracket also have to contend with beer bellies and mummy tummies, and even then you don't necessarily have to be overweight or need larger sizes to suffer from that problem! :smile:

It's time manufacturers woke up to this and started to produce clothing that is comfortable to wear and in generous proportions to cover all our "bits". The Americans seem to be able to manage it so why can't the British? :wacko:

I'd be very interested to know how many people feel that same as I do about this as surely I can't be the only one struggling with this problem :shy:

Who do we need to lobby and get support from to get our voices heard?

yenrod

Whatever you do - DONT try italian sizes...they're for mini-people !

Mr Pig

I had a stack of American cycling clothes, some of it was large sized but not all.

I have a big gut too but I've never had much of a problem finding clothes that fit. Are you maybe just a weird shape? ;0)

Tynan

Veteran
I'll guess that the vast majority of cycle gear is bought by relatively athletic men

and then ditto ladies

OP
OP
purplemoon

purplemoon

Tynan said:
I'll guess that the vast majority of cycle gear is bought by relatively athletic men

and then ditto ladies

No doubt you're right about this but the problem is that unless they produce larger clothing then how are we able to buy any? :smile:

There has to be a market for it out there surely? I'm reading about so many women having to buy men's cycling clothes just to try and get something that fits, but things such as padded shorts are not anatomically the same so why should we suffer and have to make do? :shy:

There also seems to be a marked increase in people taking up cycling, young and old, large and small, so somebody needs to step up and fill that gap in the clothing market.

If I knew how to design and manufacture clothing myself I'd get on and do it, I'm sure there's a fortune to be made in it :smile:

OP
OP
purplemoon

purplemoon

Mr Pig said:
I had a stack of American cycling clothes, some of it was large sized but not all.

I have a big gut too but I've never had much of a problem finding clothes that fit. Are you maybe just a weird shape? ;0)

Maybe! :smile:

But then again men seem quite happy to let it "all hang out" whereas women prefer to keep everything tucked away neatly :shy:

I know Corrine Denis used to make garments for normal female type people. Specialized clothing is well made. I can't tell you if it's good value for money or available in the size you want though.

JohnRedcoRn

yeah purplemoon good point, we might slim down but its a lot of work to get there so comfortable gear would be an advantage. interesting what you say re the diference between male / female attitudes ; i was major self conscious in lycra etc, but then i decided 'ok i look like budha just became the fifth telletubby' and put my F*** you head on...then did my first event (great north ride) recently, and enjoyed myself and noticed lots of blokes with bellies brimming with the same 'f*** you i'm enjoying myself' attitude. as another female rider pointed out in here, your the one out riding the bike not sitting in the house and in bike gear on a bike you already look better than couch potato people . dont mean to dismiss the issue but its all a confidence / feelgood issue, the weight loss follows.
i myself was wondering if i should wear a sports bra but dont think they make them for men.. its a midlife thing for me too, getting a bike and feeling like 'i'm doing it, i'm getting out of the rut'

Bigtallfatbloke

http://www.supersizedcycles.com/positive+fat+bike+guide

http://www.supersizedcycles.com/cycling+clothing

America is the place to get large sized clothing for cycling. The UK sucketh for many things and unfortunatly clothing for anybody who isnt what the money men see as a normal size just isnt really going to happen in the UK. I agree, there is a market for over (and under) sized cycle gear, but meantime jus tbite the bullet and order from the states and get riding.Dont let the corporate machine place a hurdle in your way...just do it.

Mr Pig

purplemoon said:
But then again men let it "all hang out" whereas women keep everything tucked away

Really? Maybe the women you know, but I've seen more spare tyres bulging out from under shrunken T-shirts and grotty G-strings sticking out of the back of drooping jeans than I want to :0( What makes girls think that the whole world wants to see their belly button? Blaaaagh...

Anyway, I've got a pair of large Lycra cycling shorts you can have if you like? Brand new, never worn and free of charge. Go for it, it'll be good for your humility ;0)

OP
OP
purplemoon

purplemoon

Mr Pig said:
Really? Maybe the women you know, but I've seen more spare tyres bulging out from under shrunken T-shirts and grotty G-strings sticking out of the back of drooping jeans than I want to :0( What makes girls think that the whole world wants to see their belly button? Blaaaagh...

Anyway, I've got a pair of large Lycra cycling shorts you can have if you like? Brand new, never worn and free of charge. Go for it, it'll be good for your humility ;0)

:smile:

Actually yes, now you mention it ... I've seen the same horrors myself :sad:

I'm sure any self-respecting female cyclist would never be seen dead looking like that though :biggrin::biggrin:

Bigtallfatbloke

Looking good is important for self esteem...there is no getting around the fact that being overweight is not exactly 'hot'. BUT who cares. For now the riding is what counts...it will hurt & it will be a set of continuous bridges to cross (not to mention hills to climb!)...but one by one the seemingly insurmountable objectives will become surmountable...the first trip around the corner...the day you reach the next town, the day you get to the top of the hill you used to avoid, the day the headwind and cold icy rain wasnt so bad afterall...they will all come, and they all add up...and while you are quietly and steadily achieving all this, the rest of the world is just slobbing out, indifferent to your progress...you keep on keeping on and soon you notice the changes in your body, muscles appearing where there were done, no more out of puff moments, a constant desire to keep riding, and then the weight loss starts...eat properly now, and hydrate well...keep riding...then one day those around you will wake up and notice how you have changed and they will be jealous as F***:biggrin:

Go for it girl just keep turning those cranks!;):smile:

JohnRedcoRn

and steady as she goes - be patient...i went mad a few years ago on strict diet +excersise, lost 3 - 4 stones in about 4 - 6 months. Obviously couldnt sustain that level of discipline and yo - yo'd for a couple of years. i've taught myself to push forward steadily but never let it become all work and no fun..good old fashioned common sense and everything in moderation.(we all need our nights in front of TV with bottle of wine too !) those first weeks or even months are a real test - you dont feel or notice a lot of diference ; the big "give up whats the point" disheartening phase - get past that then you will be pleasantly surprised. and the self confidence, pride and feelgood factor you get later, when wieghts come off and you get into some nicer fitting, flattering clothes - theres really nothing like it.

OP
OP
purplemoon

purplemoon

Thanks for the support guys, it means a lot! :smile:

I've been into town this morning and picked up some "normal" clothes that should be more comfortable to go out riding in. I'm not sure long skirts and lacy tops (my usual attire) are really appropriate ;)

I know what you mean about taking it steady John, having done the whole yo-yo dieting thing before. I'm not actually putting myself on a "diet" as such, just making sure I eat a more healthy balanced diet which I need to be doing anyway to keep my diabetes under control. The GI and GL diets seem to be the most sensible way forward and for me it's more of a lifestyle change than a quick fix. If I lose 1-2lb a week then I'll be happy, but even more important I need to improve my fitness levels and boost my confidence, which at the moment is pretty non-existent :smile:

JohnRedcoRn

yes, the very term 'DIET' leads many folk down a disastrous path, pisses me off when people say 'hows the diet going', when all i'm doing is excersising and cutting out the excess junk from my 'diet' ..........................and all these stupid fad diets - i suspect they knowingly promote rapid artificial weight loss thus ensuring they always have a market.
I'm 'lucky' in that all my extra weight is exclusively due to bad eating, too much sugar+milk, lack of excersise + too much alcohol, so that means when i get a grip and sort myself out its relatively easy to make changes. the winters always hard, so the bilke will be handy.
keep me posted how it goes as i'm starting from scratch again since grinding to a halt last december.

Top Bottom