Bees, beer and bother ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
I've always been a fan of bees and I wouldn't gratuitously do violence to one. I'll happily open a window or door to release one that's trapped indoors and clearly wants to get out.

In the 30-odd years we've lived in our house, I've never encountered a bee in our integral garage, where the bikes live (too small for the car). Until now. But for the past few weeks, I've been ushering an average of 2-3 bees per day back into the open air.

The only thing that has changed recently is that, with the lockdown, we've been trying to minimise our shopping trips to ideally only weekly. The prospect of lugging back a week's worth of beer didn't appeal, so I've started buying 36-pint polypins from the local brewery (not every week, obviously :rolleyes:) and keeping them in the garage.

Whether that's connected with the sudden influx of bees, I don't know, but the circumstantial evidence would suggest so. When I find one, it's typically crawling around on the floor, so I carefully use a tumbler and a bit of cardboard to capture it and release it outside. They fly away OK, so they're clearly not inebriated. :laugh:

Are bees typically attracted to beer? If so, what can I do to dissuade them from coming in (there are too many gaps around the up-and-over door to make it bee-proof)? Is there such a thing as a humane bee-trap that I can inspect a couple of times per day and release any inhabitants? Do I need to go back to drinking cans?

Advice appreciated.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I've always been a fan of bees and I wouldn't gratuitously do violence to one. I'll happily open a window or door to release one that's trapped indoors and clearly wants to get out.

In the 30-odd years we've lived in our house, I've never encountered a bee in our integral garage, where the bikes live (too small for the car). Until now. But for the past few weeks, I've been ushering an average of 2-3 bees per day back into the open air.

The only thing that has changed recently is that, with the lockdown, we've been trying to minimise our shopping trips to ideally only weekly. The prospect of lugging back a week's worth of beer didn't appeal, so I've started buying 36-pint polypins from the local brewery (not every week, obviously :rolleyes:) and keeping them in the garage.

Whether that's connected with the sudden influx of bees, I don't know, but the circumstantial evidence would suggest so. When I find one, it's typically crawling around on the floor, so I carefully use a tumbler and a bit of cardboard to capture it and release it outside. They fly away OK, so they're clearly not inebriated. :laugh:

Are bees typically attracted to beer? If so, what can I do to dissuade them from coming in (there are too many gaps around the up-and-over door to make it bee-proof)? Is there such a thing as a humane bee-trap that I can inspect a couple of times per day and release any inhabitants? Do I need to go back to drinking cans?

Advice appreciated.
Is there any drips coming from the polypins onto the floor or a container? They could be lured by the sugar or the yeasty smell.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Bees can detect odours from miles away, I'm not sure to what extent and I may be exagerating, but suffice it to say they can pick up scents from many more times further away than we can. So any trace of smell is probably what's attracting them. Maybe try wrapping the keg in plastic bags and just uncover when you need to decant from it?

carlosfandangus

Über Member
36 pints and you cant share with a tiny bee?, I love watching bees busily away in the garden, however only 10 minutes ago I let one out of the house.
I should hate them as I have been stung quite badly twice, (upper thigh, near the groin) when cycling.
I think @Electric_Andy is right, they will come for miles for a drop of your beer, there is no real answer than go back to cans or share!!! ^_^

carlosfandangus

Über Member
See what you have started @DaveReading ..... I honestly thought this thread would go in the direction of "buy a hive"

Before today I had no idea what a polypin even was. Now only 5 minutes after reading the OP I not only know what a polypin is, I also found I could order one filled with 36 pints of Tring brewery's fresh cask ale for delivery tomorrow.
So, erm, thanks @DaveReading

I'll let you know if I get bee problems. Or double vision.

wheresthetorch

Dreaming of Celeste
Before today I had no idea what a polypin even was. Now only 5 minutes after reading the OP I not only know what a polypin is, I also found I could order one filled with 36 pints of Tring brewery's fresh cask ale for delivery tomorrow.
So, erm, thanks @DaveReading

I'll let you know if I get bee problems. Or double vision.

I checked it out too, but the one I looked at said it needed drinking within 3-4 days of opening. I mean, I like a beer, but even I might struggle to drink 36 pints in 4 days! :notworthy:

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I checked it out too, but the one I looked at said it needed drinking within 3-4 days of opening. I mean, I like a beer, but even I might struggle to drink 36 pints in 4 days! :notworthy:

Oh I know, that would be quite the challenge wouldn't it! But Mrs CT enjoys a pint or three so she can help out... I gather it's a warm weekend, I think two of us can get through that in 4 days.

OP
OP
D

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)

The 3 that I've had so far (from Loddon Brewery) have been fine for at least a couple of weeks. It's been a challenge, as I'm the only beer-drinker in the house, but I've manfully taken it on.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Thanks, @DaveReading for the inspiration. It's for attracting bees, honest.
😄
20200528_205217.jpg

D

Deleted member 1258

Advice appreciated.

Have you checked to see if they've buit a nest somewhere?

Top Bottom