Begginer looking for first bike sub £350

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
H

haddock_n_chips

ok so its getting difficult now!!

choices are coming down to

Claude butler roubaix (sora gears, carbon forks) - £350

Pinnacle sentinel 1.0 (looks good! got 2300's, carbon forks) - £375

Specialized allez 16 - £389

fuji newest 3.0 2009 - £399 (might be a bit big only ones left are 59cm/xl)

OP
OP
H

haddock_n_chips

and man does the cannondale bad boy 26 (2010) look awesome!

ebc are selling it for £399 too

OP
OP
H

haddock_n_chips

Ok due to the nature of the riding I'm going to be doing I think a hybrid would be good, ie not all just smooth road, some light off road cycle paths etc

So would you recommend the bad boy or something else? It looks phenomenal but I'm a bit worried about speed and tyre size?

OP
OP
H

haddock_n_chips

well if anyone is still reading this i'd just thought i would drop back in to say thank you for your help

i went to a few of my LBS's and tried a few bikes out.

Tried a claude butler, cannondale, Giant, lapierre, specialized

really really liked specialized heads and shoulders above the rest

so after muchos deliberation i have ordered a Specialized Allez 2010

wasnt a hard choice really as its was £350 delivered (new too!)

cant wait for it to arrive and get riding!!

thanks once again :-)

Jezston

Über Member
I was about to post advising against the Kona Dew Plus (I have one and I'm getting SICK of issues with it now it's over a year old) but looks like I don't need to!

Just out of interest, what are Shimano 2300 shifters like? Just I rode a fairly reasonable cheap road bike a little while back but it had Sora shifters and I found them to be a phenomenal pain in the arse to use!

OP
OP
H

haddock_n_chips

havent got the bike yet!

but i found the sora's were pretty good to be honest when i road a higher spec specialized. Im hoping the 2300's will be as good, but to be honest i probably wont be able to tell as i have only ever ridden crappy old bike before so anything i get is a massive step up in quality!!

And yes for £349 delivered i was well chuffed with the price! Its coming from the cycle surgery (off their website). I did a check about them on the net before i purchased and heard mixed reviews but i have to say they have been great so far

i emailed them when i put the purchase through and got a very quick response and they have been great a t replying to queries i have had about the bike and delivery etc so far (i have emailed them about 3-4 time and they have responded quickly)

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I've got the 2300s on my Vantage.

They are basically the old 8sp Sora shifters. I don't have any real issues with them other than changing up gears on the back going down hills can be a little annoying as the button is a bit further from the drop position than it could be. On the hoods it's no issue at all.

billflat12

Veteran
slightly out of my price range but this looks nice as

Norco VFR Disc 4 £399

Not heard of norco though, any good?

Spec includes alloy bladed fork, Shimano Alivio, FSA Dyna Drive Triple chainset, Avid Juicy 3 brakes • Shared frame with VFR Disc Two – 7005 Alloy frame, curved and ovalised seatstays

can,t believe nobody,s heard of Norco, they are big in America and make some legendary MTB,s , maybe a good buy if there trying to establish themselves in the road bike market

cityfan

Regular
the Btwin Triban 3 at decathlon is under £300- has a carbon fork.

my mate got one a few months ago and i have to say it is good value for the money.

Top Bottom