Beginner Advice - opinion's and info on this bike Bianchi Via Nirone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tyh

Hi,

After unfortunately being involved in a hit and run crash last week my retro racer has had its day...

I've decided to go for a bit of an upgrade - I'm pretty newbie when it comes to the whole biking scene but im keen to get involved... I've been looking around for a good 52cm bike which is around the £200 mark.

I've come across this Bianchi Via Nirone the seller is wanting £180 is this a fair price? is there any info on the model? I've looked for some info online but cant find much - The closest thing I could find was the 120th anniversary model

Apologies for coming across as a bit of a newbie

FYI - I'll be using this bike as a commuter as well as doing the odd bit of weekend riding

Attachments

• IMG_8895.JPG
    IMG_8895.JPG
    266.3 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_8894.JPG
    IMG_8894.JPG
    205.5 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_8893.JPG
    IMG_8893.JPG
    290.9 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_8891.JPG
    IMG_8891.JPG
    224.6 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_8890.JPG
    IMG_8890.JPG
    269.4 KB · Views: 117
How much clearance do you want for tyres and mudguards.
Do you want bolt on mudguards.
IMHO planning to use ziptie/rubber band mudguard attachment is failure to plan

Are the gear ratios OK ( low enough) for you

Cycleops

Legendary Member
As with any bike you need to do the usual checks. Do the wheels run smooth and true, spokes tight? Hold the front brake on and push to bars to and fro to feel any play in the head bearings. Hold the crank and move it to feel for any play in the BB. Check wheel alignment front to back and look for any crash damage. Do the gears engage and change smoothly?
Any bike of this age is likely to have wear so be prepared to spend money on cables, tyres and the like.
If you're going to use it for commuting you'll need mudguards as suggested above. Will it take a rack for your stuff? You could use a back pack but it'll make you back sweaty.
Good luck.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
IMHO
looking at the bike of course you could commute on it but with the proviso from above as it looks like you dont have mounts for mudgaurds or a rack.
Of course your paying a premium for the brand and are willing to potentially pay out for any repairs and the shifters are now old tech with the thumb button for shifters .
If your not mechanically minded and know what to look for on a second hand bike it might pay to up your budget and look at something new , i built a bike up with similar spec out of bits as a serviceable commuter that does the job perfectly .

Top Bottom