Beginner looking for a good road bike!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello!

I've been interesting in getting into cycling for a while now, and have narrowed my search for a good road bike (under 500 quid) down to these 2 bikes:

B'TWIN TRIBAN 500 SE ROAD BIKE
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-500-se-road-bike-black-id_8306187.html

or

Specialized Allez Black
http://www.mcconveycycles.com/store/product/21497/Specialized-Allez-Black-58cm/

I'm 6ft 4 and weigh about 20st (hopefully the cycling will make the latter number drop significantly ;) ). Would you guys have any opinions about these bikes, or any others I should know about?

Thank you.

Now this could get confusing...... same avatar as @mickle

vickster

Legendary Member
Have you tried the Allez? 58cm might be a bit in the small size if you are 6'4. If new to road bikes, I'd advise against buying online if you can, even if it seems a bargain. I think many of the specialized dealers are running the 20% off promotion right now, so you shou,d be able to try and buy locally

I'd go for this one from decathlon, carbon fork sora gearing. Versus alu fork and Claris

At 20 stone, you may find the stock wheels on any bike a problem, another reason to buy from a local shop as they should be able to support any fixes needed

wbmkk

Veteran
Hello!

I've been interesting in getting into cycling for a while now

Specialized Allez Black
http://www.mcconveycycles.com/store/product/21497/Specialized-Allez-Black-58cm/
Don't they always say the Allez is quite an aggressive bike, which I think that means it's fine for folk who like to look like Mark Cavendish on a sprint finish race ... bum up, head down.

The bike however is always mentioned as a good starter bike and your link shows a decent price.

Maybe you'll be buying local though .. it is always better to try out the bike before buying. I suppose buying online is fine, if maybe you have tried a similar model somewhere locally, although that's maybe being a bit cheeky. Best to buy local, then get everything set up as required.

I was typing this at the same time as Vickster .. just by chance we both suggest buying locally

OP
OP
jonnyfoxtrot

jonnyfoxtrot

Have you tried the Allez? 58cm might be a bit in the small size if you are 6'4. If new to road bikes, I'd advise against buying online if you can, even if it seems a bargain. I think many of the specialized dealers are running the 20% off promotion right now, so you shou,d be able to try and buy locally

I'd go for this one from decathlon, carbon fork sora gearing. Versus alu fork and Claris

At 20 stone, you may find the stock wheels on any bike a problem, another reason to buy from a local shop as they should be able to support any fixes needed

Great advice, thank you very much!

OP
OP
jonnyfoxtrot

jonnyfoxtrot

Don't they always say the Allez is quite an aggressive bike, which I think that means it's fine for folk who like to look like Mark Cavendish on a sprint finish race ... bum up, head down.

The bike however is always mentioned as a good starter bike and your link shows a decent price.

Maybe you'll be buying local though .. it is always better to try out the bike before buying. I suppose buying online is fine, if maybe you have tried a similar model somewhere locally, although that's maybe being a bit cheeky. Best to buy local, then get everything set up as required.

I was typing this at the same time as Vickster .. just by chance we both suggest buying locally

Yeah, I would be buying local, and this is great info, thank you!

Squid lips

I have a merlin pr7 good stiff frame , claris gearing ,carbon forks,mavic wheels had it since last September never had a problem yet . Got mine for £299 gone up to £349 but still great value

Great minds think alike.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Some great deals on specialized at the moment.
been to Rutland Cycles today
wife bought her first road bike today, lady specific, carbon fork and a few goodies like twin bottle cages and a tail pack and yes 20% off 800 down to 640 , guy spent over an hour sorting size and fit and test ride.
the one she wants is an upgraded one from the demo so next sunday collection.

good service, im going back next week to destroy my credit card lol i think..ive been salavating a lot today..

I was looking at Specilalized Allez vs Norco Valence A4 (£450 with Evans).

I went for the Norco, as the Specilazied is constantly referred to as quite a racey position. After having a Felt F95 which was apparently similar in target, I really couldn't get comfortable on it with the long and low reach. The Norco Valence I got is nearly 2cm shorter top tube, and has the ability to set the bars higher too.

I find it much more comfortable and far less taxing to ride. Somebody with more experience may prefer the Allez or similar, but just something to think about. I'm 6ft and have 58cm frame

OP
OP
jonnyfoxtrot

jonnyfoxtrot

I think I'll go for the B'Twin from Decathalon, the store is very handy to me and it's a little more in my price range.

Thanks for the help everyone, really appreciate it!

vickster

Legendary Member
I'd choose sora over microshift. The bike looks a bit better too

Go look at them and try them out. You might find it harder to get the older model now

Top Bottom