Beginner needing advice as to where to begin??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rebecwarr

Hi Everyone,

I'd like to commute to work every other week (partners shifts & childcare wont allow every week) but i thought better that than not at all.
Im after some advice as to which bike to buy - ideally around £200 - £250 mark - for a 7mile commute? I haven't rode a bike since i was 13 LOL !! Do i need a road bike or would a general mountain bike do the trick? I have no idea?!?! A rigid frame or front suspension??
I'd like something decent and comfortable that would do the job firstly, then if I take to cycling I may want to invest in something a little more pricey.
Just wondering if there are brands / makes i should avoid ? Or brands i should opt for? Can a decent bike be bought at Halfords or am i better going to an independent shop? (Not sure if anyone will know it but I live close to Kendalls cycles in Castleford)
I have an itch to get commuting but a bit stumped where to start. Any replies and advise are greatly appreciated =)
Thanks, Becki

Mike!

Guru
At that sort of price I'd recommend looking at something along the lines of the Carrera Subway from Halfords, tough, rigid forks (suspension adds weight and most don't need it) and can do a bit of everything. Never had one myself but plenty of people here have had them and rate them highly.

Mange-tout

I think cycling every second week is a great idea :bravo: . You'll have time to rest and recuperate whilst you're beginning, and as you get fitter you'll just get faster and faster on your commute.

Perhaps just do 3 days the first week, so that you don't end up exhausted by Friday and wishing you'd never bought a bike :smile:. 7 miles isn't a long commute for many on the forums but 14 miles return every day from nothing will take some getting used to I think. Good luck^_^.

theMec

Regular
Hi Becki, great to hear you want to start cycling to work - a great way to save money and keep fit. Though i'd avise taking it easy to start with if you've not cycled for a while. For that budget I agree with the previous poster, Carrera from Halfords would definitely do the job. You could also check out the Ridgeback Rapide series - slightly out of your budget but something like this....
http://www.tweekscycles.com/Product...& City Bikes&gclid=CKjDjoWfu7YCFa3HtAodDg4Alg

OP
OP
Rebecwarr

Rebecwarr

Thanks for all your replies. Mange tout - I was thinking a few days to start and build up gradually to 5 days, Exercise has been a long forgotten thing in my world, so definitely start off steady!!
Mike - thanks for that Im going to Halfords at the weekend so will have a look!
Mcarter01 - Thanks I like that one! Might have to ask the chap to open the purse strings a tad more !!
Thanks thegravestoneman - ye im going to Kendalls ( i got my first ever bike from there aged around 3/4 a raleigh bluebird or firebird i think) see what they recommend, My partner got his bike from there through the cycle to work scheme and although there have been many requests to my employer it isn't something they are willing to do which seems daft to me they should encourage us to cycle to work!!

OP
OP
Rebecwarr

Rebecwarr

It might be a silly question but what about weight? Can that affect the bike you choose? Do bikes have weight limits/restrictions? having a child has seriously affected my weight due to lazyness I'll admit. So i am a bit apprehensive as I dont want to tyres to deflate, saying that i have seen some hefty guys riding?? Sorry to be a pain!!

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Rebecwarr go for it why not go 2nd hand some good bargains out there

wisdom

Guru
Hi bex have a chat with your local shop,they may sell second hand/reconditioned bikes.You could drop on a quality bike inside your budget.
Dont let the commute be a toil,allow yourself plenty of time ,take it easy and above all enjoy the trip,youll soon be eating the miles.Slow and steady to start with,rest when you need to.

Good luck.

I'm also on the hunt for a new bike at the moment. I was advised to check the weight of the bike. Remember you are lugging this piece of metal around so make sure it is not heavy. Go into a bike shop and pick them up, you will soon see what I mean. With this in mind be careful of second hand bikes as they may be steel. The lighter the bike the quicker you'll progress with your cycling.

One other point I have learned this year is if you get a mountain bike, change the knobbly tyers to some smooth ones to reduce the drag on the road.

I'm currently looking at the Rockrider brand from Decathlon, high spec for little money and most of the guys on here give them the thumbs up.

Good luck and happy hunting.

pplpilot

Guru
If I can add a little bit of advice Re: the Commute. Don't go straight into the commute, have a few miles at night, every other night for a week or so even if its just to break your arse in, then when you do decide to commute do a dry run on a week / evening. Have fun.

Top Bottom