Beginner re-build

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gken

So I've never built a bike up before, but I have just come into possession of a frame which has too much potential to be left in its current dreary condition...

Seeking a pointer in the right direction - my toolkit is minimal (multi tool and a wrench...) and knowledge is only slightly better (plenty of minor adjustments but nothing serious like actually replacing non-peripheral components)

Any suggestions for starting points like a suggested kit list or reliable tear-down-for-beginners guides?

The frame is a Saracen Reynolds 531c - light surface rust, but structurally sound (as far as I can tell...), built up as a 10 speed commuter. Closest I've seen online is http://www.lfgss.com/thread81308.html

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
be prepared to pay more than it will be worth at the end. that said, it's an enjoyable thing to do.

check it's not cheaper to buy a groupset in its entirety before buying all the bits separately (if you're not getting second-hand off ebay).

it's also worth bearing in mind that some steel forks don't easily take modern dual pivot brake calipers (bolt too short)…

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
The first thing I recommend you buy is a good set of Vernier callipers as you'll need to measure things like the diameter of tubes and the spaces between the drop outs.

The actual building of a bike isn't terribly difficult; the biggest problem you will face is buying parts that fit and are compatible.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
The first thing I recommend you buy is a good set of Vernier callipers as you'll need to measure things like the diameter of tubes and the spaces between the drop outs.

The actual building of a bike isn't terribly difficult; the biggest problem you will face is buying parts that fit and are compatible.

the other thing i would suggest is to make sure no seized saddle stem and quill stems are lurking closely followed by seized forks and also check bottome bracket will come apart ok .

as for tools there will always be 1 you have not got so just start collecting till you stop

Top Bottom