Beginner. What bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lewisprill

Hi there,

Im looking to get into cycling. I've always been a keen cyclist but just mountain bikes and BMX. I was just wondering if anyone has any advice on a first time road bike. I've looked around online and have seen a few bit then read mixed reviews and change my mind! I'm looking for a completely setup bike. Budget is about 300-400. As I'm new to it, don't want to get an expensive one and it sit around in my garage!

I've seen a few that take my eye. Couple of Viking ones, Rayleigh Airlite 100 and a Carrera TDF, it's on the halfords site. It looks nice but as for tech specs I have no clue!

Any recommendations!?

Much appriciated

Lewis

PpPete

Legendary Member
Decathlon Triban range is (probably) about the best value around at that sort of price level - if you live near to one of their shops.

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
No experience myself of Decathlon, but have read plenty of good things about them on here, so I'd definitely be considering them.

Again, I've no experience of Viking and can't remember anyone here commenting one way or the other, so I can't comment.

The four bikes I would recommend any newcomer consider are:
  • Raleigh Airlite 100
  • Edinburgh Bike Co-op Revolution Continental
  • Halfords Carrera TDF Ltd
  • Dawes Giro 300
I wouldn't get too hung up on specs: any bike in your budget is going to be compromised in one area or another. You will learn far more from actually riding any of the above bikes, than you will poring over reviews and specifications.

If you do get the bug, you will then be in a far better position to know what areas you want to spend more money on, when it is time to upgrade.

Ideally you should test ride the bikes: it doesn't matter how good a bike is, if you're not comfortable on it. I don't think Halfords do test rides and unless you're near Edinburgh then taking the Revolution for a spin is unlikely to be practicable.

You should also bear in mind the benefit of establishing a good relationship with a bike shop: you might save £xx with bikeshop.com, but who's going to service/repair your bike. Halfords have a very poor after sales reputation.

The good news is that now is a good time to be buying a bike: the 2012 models are out, which means last year's are going cheap.

Whatever your choice, I wish you many happy miles!

I'd buy a used bike tbh. You'll get more bang for your buck for starters, then if for some crazy reason you don't take to it you should pretty much get your money back rather than taking a hit on a new bike.
Good luck what ever you decide :smile:

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
I'd buy a used bike tbh. You'll get more bang for your buck for starters, then if for some crazy reason you don't take to it you should pretty much get your money back rather than taking a hit on a new bike.
Good luck what ever you decide :smile:
I agree with you, up to a point: depending on your experience and mechanical ability, you could well end up spending a fair whack on a lemon: "new" is the more cautious choice.

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
If you want a road bike set-up and ready to ride for £299 the the Decathlon Triban 3 is the best buy.

Halfords TDF isn't as nice, and the set-up may be a bit haphazard depending on the store. I had to order parts myself when I got a faulty Halfords bike, the store was unhelpful.

Used bikes tend to require some tinkering and if you don't know what you're looking for you could end up with a lemon. You may end up buying bits that equal the cost of a new bike. Just the basics like new chain, bearings, cables, brake blocks, tyres, tubes etc.. add up to over £50

deanE

I started cycling 6 months ago with a Claud Butler San Reno. Very pleased with build but had to change the complete drive train to cope with my advanced age and Westcountry hills. Last years model usually cheaper than new model.

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
In the Autumn I bought an early eighties Peugeot for £60 as a Winter hack/commuter. Very good condition: garaged since the guy retired five years ago.

I spent a good hundred pounds replacing the tyres, tubes, cables, brake blocks, chain etc.: nothing fancy, just the "consumables"; and I did the work myself.

I was lucky, in that the bike was basically sound, but even so the bearing pieces (bottom bracket, wheels and headset) need attention too. The cost of bearings is minimal, but the tools to do the jobs properly will cost me another £50 easily.

Nothing too complicated, but as AB says, it soon racks up.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
+1 on the triban 3 , most bang for your buck and has a triple so you get a really easy gear for hills etc if you need it along with a carbon fork to reduce road buzz.Decathlon also do a great range of clothing at very good prices.
I had a carrera tdf and its a great bike for the price , i still use a virtuoso for commuting and they are cracking bikes for the price.

Monkspeed

I have a Triban 3, I'm pretty chuffed with it but I needed to change a few things to get it more comfortable.

I changed the stem to a shorter version and with a 30 degree rise (110mm to 90mm).
I adjusted the position of the brifters downwards slightly as they were a tad high and was difficult to reach the brakes from the drops.
And the wheels needed slight adjustment to bring true.
I'm now looking to change the seat post for a zero setback version as the default one has 25mm setback and my seat has run out of forwards adjustment.

I would like to stress that these are just things to adapt the bike to my body and you might not need to change and adjust anything, so please just bare that in mind.

:smile:

Top Bottom