Beginner: What essential gear to purchase?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

Merlin86

Thank you for all the replies so far, that is very nice and helpful. Gloves, helmet, shorts, jacket and shoes are priority then.

To answer some questions:
1) Male, reasonably fit
2) Going from Northolt (W. London) to City of London (mainly through grand union canal)
3) I dont expect to commute this distance 5x a week for most of the year. I will very much continue to commute in on my motorcycle. Realistically, i am looking at commuting in 2 to 3 x a week. This may also be a seasonal ambition as I dont know what cycling will be like in the winter, I know very well how it is on a motorcycle though!

Having said that, in terms of bike accessories I suppose I will need a rack (for luggage), mudguards and spare tyre replacement kit. Would you be so kind to recommend some specific brands which are known for quality and durability please?

D

Deleted member 26715

I would recommend to upgrade to slime filled innertubes

vickster

Legendary Member
Thank you for all the replies so far, that is very nice and helpful. Gloves, helmet, shorts, jacket and shoes are priority then.

To answer some questions:
1) Male, reasonably fit
2) Going from Northolt (W. London) to City of London (mainly through grand union canal)
3) I dont expect to commute this distance 5x a week for most of the year. I will very much continue to commute in on my motorcycle. Realistically, i am looking at commuting in 2 to 3 x a week. This may also be a seasonal ambition as I dont know what cycling will be like in the winter, I know very well how it is on a motorcycle though!

Having said that, in terms of bike accessories I suppose I will need a rack (for luggage), mudguards and spare tyre replacement kit. Would you be so kind to recommend some specific brands which are known for quality and durability please?
Mudguards, SKS Chromoplastics
Rack, Topeak plus slide on trunk bag with fold out panniers

What bike?

D

Deleted member 26715

Fail without the panniers if commuting
True, but not serious commuter & can manage with the small (8L) version, I was concerned about the pannier style ones, due to the weight limit of the rack it's only 9Kgs

vickster

Legendary Member
True, but not serious commuter & can manage with the small (8L) version, I was concerned about the pannier style ones, due to the weight limit of the rack it's only 9Kgs
I’ve never had an sue even with the panniers full. That’s a fixed rack not seatpost version

D

Deleted member 26715

I’ve never had an sue even with the panniers full. That’s a fixed rack not seatpost version
Mine's a V-type seat post one, hence why I was being circumspect about the weight

D

Deleted member 26715

Fair enough, not keen on those as I’ve been told they can move (and I can carry a lot of stuff)
Lol I bought it because the other one before did so much so it nearly got in the spokes. But so far so good

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!

I'd suggest you read up on cycling helmets before deeming one a priority.
Whereas your motorcycle helmets are designed and made to save your life, a cycle helmet is designed and made to be light, ventilated and to look pretty. They aren't even advertised by the manufacturers as safety items.

Top Bottom