Beginners 2013 goals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DaveyM

Über Member
I know that there is a thread for 2013 goals.

But for us that are just new to cycling what are people aiming for this year.

I have reset my cycling log and aim to do 1800 miles this year, I am also aiming to do a couple of sportives. The Great North Bike Ride and the Cycleone (middle distance).

I would also like to loose a bit more weight 10kg by next Christmas.

Does anyone else have any goals for this year and we'll do a half year review in JUNE to see where we are.

Good luck to you all in your goals for 2013 :thumbsup:

bainy16

i aim to lose 2 stone by this time next year, also get fit enough to climb alpe d'huez in july plus do at least 1 100 mile ride ....good luck with your goals

lavoisier

Winter is Coming!
Specifically I aim to do 3000 miles this year and hopefully lose 3 stone into the bargain.. I think primarily though I just need to get out more often.

Good luck everyone.

Paul

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Aiming for 4,000 miles, which hopefully will be covered by commuting.

Lose some weight, need to lose a couple of stone.

Buy a road bike, only doing this when I have lost the weight.

London Female

Über Member
My goals are a bit more modest than some of yours.

Buy a new bike, without the help of daughter.

I would like to finally get out on a ride with my local group.

Lose another stone in weight. Have already lost 2 stone but having now been off since mid November and still two weeks before I go back, I am seriously bored and comfort eating. Probably put half a stone back on in the last month :sad:

Happy new year to you all

Jan

Saluki

World class procrastinator
10kg by next Xmas. Nice and easy ^_^ that's 1/2lb a week and a bit of room for cake errors. With sensible eating there is a chance that your 10kg will be a distant memory by mid summer. I have restarted slimming world today (not the classes, they are not available on a BH) I have the books to follow.

I need to organise my cycling log, thanks for the reminder there. I had totally forgotten about it.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
buy the roadie now :smile: itll motivate you to get out more and youll loose weight faster. there are also some amazing deals around this time of year

I was working on the theory that if I stick to the hybrid, the work will be harder, therefore burn the fat of quicker.

MattHB

Proud Daddy
It's a good theory, but its unlikely you'll work harder, you'll just be slower.

And working harder wont necessarily burn fat faster :smile: it high work rates you body will take fuel from your glycogen stores, not fat as it can't be metabolised fast enough for instant use. Actually, keeping your heart rate very low will burn more fat over the same distance at a higher intensity.

Motivation and getting out will burn more fat and get you fitter than anything else. So use whatever tricks you can to get hooked as fast as possible!

philinmerthyr

Über Member
I'm aiming for 4k miles and want to loose 5 st over the year. This will be with healthy eating as well as cycling. I am over 20 st though.

My main goal is to complete the London 100 and raise as much money as possible for Beating Bowel Cancer.

If I can do all this it will be a great 2013

Stu Smith

Veteran
Aiming for 4k this year and to complete a 100 mile ride..longest one so far is 65mile..
Don't really need to drop any weight to be honest...My wife keeps trying to feed me up:hungry:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
It's a good theory, but its unlikely you'll work harder, you'll just be slower.

And working harder wont necessarily burn fat faster :smile: it high work rates you body will take fuel from your glycogen stores, not fat as it can't be metabolised fast enough for instant use. Actually, keeping your heart rate very low will burn more fat over the same distance at a higher intensity.

Motivation and getting out will burn more fat and get you fitter than anything else. So use whatever tricks you can to get hooked as fast as possible!

I like you, my wife and bank balance don't.^_^

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
hehe this is always the problem Im afraid!! Can you commute? Thats a really huge way of getting in shape very fast if you dont have to go too far.

Most of my cycling is commuting. For the last month or so I have been doing 15 miles each way, though the direct route is only 5. Once it starts getting lighter I am going to step it up to 20 with a bit of climbing in the first few miles, already have 17.5 miles of the route sorted, just need to slot another 2.5 miles into it.

Top Bottom