Beginner's guide to servicing?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dadam

I'd like to service and fettle my Giant hybrid. It's 4 years old and has had a few cleans, oiling drivetrain and adjusting gears etc but I'd like to give it a full service. Mechanically it still seems fine, everything still works ok.

What do I need to do, and what tools do I need?

I'm thinking new chain and cassette, plus new pads and replace hydraulic fluid. The bike has a Shimano Tourney/Altus 3x8 drivetrain and Tektro M275 hydraulic disc brakes.

I'm reasonably "mechanically literate" but not so much with bikes and I've got a good selection of general purpose tools like allen keys, spanners, screwdrivers etc. Bike specific stuff I have a bike stand and a multi-tool with chain breaker but don't really know how to use the latter! :blush:

I'm happy with the gear ratios it has so would probably just change like for like.

Any good guides online, or top tips?

Ajax Bay

Guru
Tubeless or tubed clinchers?
What make of chain?
Do both wheels (out of frame) still roll smoothly?

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
+1 for Park tool website

But...

"Mechanically it still seems fine, everything still works ok.

What do I need to do, and what tools do I need?"

You don't need to do anything! Particularly, I can't imagine any reason to replace brake fluid.

You should always check pads for wear regularly, and tyres, but there's no reason to replace unless worn.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Don't fiddle unnecessarily (see pads and fluid above).
Reasonable, after 4 years and assume many hundreds of miles, to replace chain and maybe cassette.
If a new chain slips on the old cassette, refit the old chain, procure a new cassette, and replace both at leisure.
If tubeless, refresh/replace sealant.

Last edited:
Reactions: C R

tom73

Guru
Celvin is your friend
https://www.parktool.com/en-us/blog/repair-help
Or Park tool Blue book

OP
OP
D

Dadam

OK thanks, so a little different to cars then in terms of preventive maintenance?

I've done about 1500 miles on it so not huge mileage, but a lot of descents with frequent heavy braking on my commute during all weathers etc. I have no idea how long the pads should last so think these probably ought to be changed.

OP
OP
D

Dadam

Tubeless or tubed clinchers?
What make of chain?
Do both wheels (out of frame) still roll smoothly?

Tubed. Shimano chain (I assume), 8 spd. I've no idea if wheels roll smoothly out of the frame! Didn't know I should be checking that! :smile: They roll ok on the bike

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I've no idea if wheels roll smoothly out of the frame! Didn't know I should be checking that! :smile: They roll ok on the bike
Can you feel any play in the axles? If you can might just need adjusting via the cones, that's another tool you might need.
Talking of tools Park are good but expensive, Decathlon do a good set for about £50 which should give you most of what you need except from spanners. Manufacturers aren't over generous with grease so might be worth taking bearings out and applying fresh, that's if you want to go to town. Others might not bother. Same with bottom bracket bearings.

Last edited:

Big John

Guru
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If you really want to get a new chain you're not duty bound to get the same make but get one for 8 speed if you can. I, and many others, use KMC because you can split and rejoin with a chain splitter although most use a quick link these days. Make sure you cut your new chain to the same length as your old one. Don't make the mistake of taking the new chain out of the box and just putting it on your bike. You have the old chain as your template. Use YouTube and anything in the Park Tools series are always done professionally. Sounds like you have a load of tools that will be usable on a bike but you will need a cassette remover tool if you decide to swap the cassette. Buy the tools as you need them and eventually you'll have all you need after a while. When using your workstand to save damaging the frame they recommend you use the seat post to secure it. Angle the bike slightly down at the front so the front wheel stays put.

Top Bottom