Beginner's guide to servicing?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

richardfm

Veteran
OK thanks, so a little different to cars then in terms of preventive maintenance?

I've done about 1500 miles on it so not huge mileage, but a lot of descents with frequent heavy braking on my commute during all weathers etc. I have no idea how long the pads should last so think these probably ought to be changed.

You need to measure how much material is left, if the pads have at least 1.5mm they are ok.

Reactions: C R

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
As many have said, don't try and fix things that don't need fixing or adjustment. Personally I do one big service a year and just keep the running gear oiled and clean when needed. I use my bike as transport in every respect with no issues, others seem to take their bike apart every five minutes. Buy right buy once.

OP
OP
D

Dadam

Updating this thread,

I replaced chain, cassette and brake pads yesterday. Upgraded the cassette to HG41 from HG31, still 8 speed 11-32 but was only £1 more and a nice silver colour instead of black. Disc pads too. Turned out the pads were mainly ok, but one of the rears was borderline and the springs were a bit rusty. I watched several of the Park Tool videos so cheers for the recommendations and a few weeks ago PX had a 70% off on their jobsworth bike tool kit so I grabbed that
Problem now is the front brakes need aligning as the disc is rubbing slightly. The wear on the old pads meant there was clearance but now the thicker pad is contacting the disc on one side. A job for another day after I’ve watched a few more YT vids I think.

Top Bottom