Being a right **** on ebay

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Frazer

I bid on some aero bars the other day on ebay, didnt really expect to win but i bid about £60 for some nice Stryke Carbon ones. Would you believe it however, a few hours after i put the bid on, a friend of mine called me to tell me he managed to wrangle some free aero bars off a friend who has some on a bike he never uses now, having bought another new TT bike, and he would give them to me.

I spent a day continually checking ebay hoping somebody would outbid me, but alas, they didnt and I won. I definitely don't want the ones I have bid on now that I have some fairly good ones for free, and £60 could go a long way for me at the moment. But equally, I dont want to be an absolute **** to the person I have bought them off on ebay and not pay up. What do you think I should do?

PrettyboyTim

You could always contact the seller, explain the situation and ask him if he'd mind relisting. Perhaps offer to pay him £5 for the inconvenience, or maybe instead offer to pay the defecit if he doesn't mange to sell them for that much next time.

The other option would be to buy them as usual, and then just sell them on eBay yourself.

Joe

Über Member
It's a shame you didn't put in a bid withdrawal request before the auction finished! Could have said you put in the wrong amount.
As it is, I would contact the seller and explain the situation. If they're not willing to sort something out (such as you paying their listing fees and a couple of quid extra) then I would just bite the bullet and then relist them myself.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Definitely worth contacting the seller. For all you know, he may have had a similar turn of events, and not really want to sell them any more!

But if he won't deal, your only honourable course is to pay up and sell the bars on.

(And like BTFB, I was thinking, blimey, how many bubbly chocolate bars do you get for £60!??)

MarkF

Guru
Be straight, that's the important thing, those Ebay bars are now yours.

However, I agree with the previous suggestions, contact the seller and offer him the £5. He won't believe you of course but that's not the point, you are being stright.:sad:

If he is not interested and wants payment, stump up pal and re-list them.xx(

asterix

Comrade Member
Yes, the honest course of action is to be prepared to pay up. Maybe if you relist them yourself you might get a bit more.. And of course there's alway the classified on this forum. Unfortunately I'm in the same boat as you and could just do with a spare £60:tongue:

bonj2

Either, claim a bereavement or other 'disaster' has occurred to you, offer to pay a nominal inconvenience fee for him to relist, pay for them but then just sell them again yourself (you might even get more), or just take the negative on the chin. Don't be a fool and pay sixty of the queen's good english pounds for an item you don't want. But in future learn to cancel your bid early on. Don't do it too often though as if you do it three times (I think) you get sent an email saying 'you appear to be doing this quite often - please be more careful in future yadda yadda'

twowheelsgood

Pay up and resell.

OP
OP
F

Frazer

Ok well it seems honesty will be the best policy here...ill pay up then resell i think, means i cant get any negative feedback from the seller for not paying up

Put yourself in his shoes. Suppose somebody bought your stuff and then tries to wangle out of it ? I'd not be impressed and would leave negative if they didn't pay.

Unfortunately I think you should pay up and then resell them, hoping you get enough to pay postage and listing fees, etc.

You were willing to bid this in the first place, so presumably if your mate hadn't come up wit hthe others you'd be happy enough to pay it ?

Think of it another way : suppose your mate offered you the others next week instead. You'd then be deciding whether to sell the pair you'd just got this week on eBay or these others you'd just been given.

k-dog

Yes, the honest course of action is to be prepared to pay up. Maybe if you relist them yourself you might get a bit more.

I've done that a few times - and made a significant profit on a couple of occasions.

asterix

Comrade Member
bonj said:
Either, claim a bereavement or other 'disaster' has occurred to you, offer to pay a nominal inconvenience fee for him to relist, pay for them but then just sell them again yourself (you might even get more), or just take the negative on the chin. Don't be a fool and pay sixty of the queen's good english pounds for an item you don't want. But in future learn to cancel your bid early on. Don't do it too often though as if you do it three times (I think) you get sent an email saying 'you appear to be doing this quite often - please be more careful in future yadda yadda'

May I have your ebay ID please (I know, I know - I should have noted it down when you were selling the BMW..).

Top Bottom