I'm not sure I ever feel like I'm a tourist. I feel the same visiting somewhere from the house as visiting somewhere whilst away. This week we've been enjoying a staycation at home, so far we've enjoyed trips to Dawyck, Melrose, New Lanark, and Newtongrange Mining Museum.
I have lived in the same town for 45 years which is now a tourist dependent place. So many newcomers have come here and taken over so many local jobs that I now feel like a stranger in what I regard as my own community. When I go to say doctors surgery I practically have to produce photo ID before I am allowed in. This happens regularly. I am not so much a tourist but a stranger.
I havent been back in uk for years, so would fel like tourist, used to live in Greece, (wish i still did) and hated tourist season ! Bloody forigners taking up the beach !
We quite often do touristy things, visit the castle, museum etc.
I don't understand people who travel but completely ignore the gems on their own doorstep.
You make a good point. We tend to seek out local museums and landmarks when on holiday or visiting a new place but are less likely to seek out the ones on our doorstep. On googling Manchester's tourist attractions, I notice that I have seen 9 out of the top 12 but only half of the top 20. There are some lesser museums, galleries and libraries that I really should visit... one day!
When I go back to the town where I grew up I see the new buildings, I see the empty spaces but I'm damned if I can remember what used to stand there.
When I go to the small market town were I was born and lived until I was 3 or 4, I get strange feelings of deja vu because the centre hasn't really changed much in 50 years.
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.