Being injured sucks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Don't cycle to work, its too far. I am due to start a new job in London soon, so I might think about it a bit more seriously, however Mrs thinks I will end up dead squashed by a van.

The runs I have been doing have basically been my morning dog walks too so everyone wins. I do plan to continue the running, its just an annoying setback after only a couple of weeks. :sad:

Epsom to London has got to be about 15-16 miles. So although a fair old commute, not a huge one.

I ran once ( and only once).....i was likened to forest gump , ,,, never again

running............tis is a silly thing to do :wacko:

if i have to run anywhere , im going on my bike :bicycle:

Berties

Fast and careful!
I learnt the hard way with trainers , I bought a pair that was no use for my feet, I ended up going to a biomechanics Physio who fitted me for orthotics , and fit them to a neutral shoe,I was ok till I put more miles in without proper trainers ,
put in the miles the tonage that goes through your feet is high, also if I am putting in the miles I load stretch my major leg groups this also increases my flexibility

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Good shoes make for a good run. I used to run distance, as I was too tall for a lot of other events. Finally, leg muscles and bones got as tired of that as they did basketball, and put an end to it. No exercise for a few years, then I got started reading about cycling after GP sent me to dietitian, who recommended exercise. I still walk my dogs a couple of times per day, but that's the limit. Bicycling has a lot less impact on joints. I bicycled a lot for transportation, competition, and fun in my youth and young adulthood, and I never should have gotten away from it.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Its just so much easier going out for a 30 minute run, than a 40 mile bike ride :sad:

I think I remember reading somewhere that the ratio, in terms of energy expended per mile for running vs cycling was about 5:1. So your 40 mile bike ride is equivalent to about an 8 mile run. Good luck doing that in 30 minutes. :rolleyes:

U

User6179

I think I remember reading somewhere that the ratio, in terms of energy expended per mile for running vs cycling was about 5:1. So your 40 mile bike ride is equivalent to about an 8 mile run. Good luck doing that in 30 minutes. :rolleyes:

You could expend the same energy depending on effort so run or cycle makes no difference if your heart rate is the same , only cycling is kinder on the joints .

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
An inconvenient way of getting about in the years before the draisenne, which led to the bicycle.

Top Bottom