Being out on the bike, self-sufficiency and meeting people....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Went out for a nice easy solo ride yesterday taking in some stunning Ribble Valley and Bowland scenery, stopped for a coffee at Puddleducks cafe in Dunsop Bridge (best scones in the UK at the village in the centre of the UK) and met some interesting folk along the way:

- A South African from Durban with a broken gear cable. Chatted for a while but couldn't do anything to help him. (Note to self: must pack a gear cable in the tool kit)

- A gent on a tourer heading for the Clarion House for a cup of tea. Stayed chatting with him for a couple of miles.

- At the cafe a couple with a son the same age as my own, out on three really nice carbon bikes.

- A lady with a horse in its trailer (horsey equivalent of a bike rack?) who chatted about bridleways, rights of way, riding horses cross country, man v horse v bike, etc.

With each, the conversation was enjoyable but what I enjoy most about being out on the road bike is the feeling of self-sufficiency and being out with the bare minimum of kit, confident that I can deal with almost any eventuality and go anywhere I please, on a whim. No need for an engine, just me and my bike in perfect mechanical order, ready to face whatever life throws at me. I didn't used to get this feeling on the mountain bike where your ability to cover road miles is limited.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
''Sociable loner'' sounds like a contradiction in terms, doesn't it? But I'm a bit like that too.

Bexmay

Regular
Sounds lovely. Can't wait to get back to this. I noticed just walking down the local disused railway track that everyone says hello to each other. Even people cycling the same way as I was walking said hello as they passed. :smile:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
- A South African from Durban with a broken gear cable. Chatted for a while but couldn't do anything to help him. (Note to self: must pack a gear cable in the tool kit)
(Assuming that it was a rear gear cable and he wanted a lower gear for climbing ...) How about manually selecting an easier gear by pushing the rear derailleur to the desired position and holding it there by adjusting the endstops?

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
Could have done that but he just wanted to turn round and head back down the hill to Clitheroe.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I normally carry loads of tools spares etc,about 20 miles from home the other morning I remembered my pump wasnt on the bike. Really took the edge off my enjoyment thinking the fairies would be bound to take advantage of a lone pumpless cyclist :-) Breathed a great sigh of relief when I rolled back into our street with the p"£$%^%$ fairies still in hot pursuit.:tongue:

Top Bottom