Belgium to Arnhem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Penfold

After my first ever mini tour along the D-day beaches http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/Penfoldsmith

I have an idea to indulge my history interest again and ride the route taken by XXX Corps armour brigade along what was known as Hells Highway in the Netherlands

This (according to the film a Bridge too Far) was a single highway that took the armour from the Dutch/Blegian border right the way to Arnhem. (well almost)

Does anyone have any ideas of what the modern route is?

I'm afraid I have no paper (read proper) maps of the area

I would sit down and spend a happy evening with Google maps/earth but my computer is so slow it would take for ever.

Thanks

Graham

NickC

The route was: Belgian border near Lommel, Valkenswaard, Eindhoven (where I live), Son, Veghel, Uden, Grave, Nijmegen, Arnhem. And, if you're considering following it, you'll find some good cycling along most of the route.

Cheers

NickC

OP
OP
Penfold

Penfold

NickC,

Thanks for the reply, can I ask you another question?

Is the route you have provided (above) all on cycle routes or minor roads. I understand that Mr Dutch driver is not to happy for cyclists to be on 'his' road if a cycle route is alongside.

Also does any of the original Hells Highway still remain or has it all been ripped up and modernised.

Thanks again for the info though. I will endevour to put an extra mouse into my computers hard drive wheel and see if it will cope with Google maps. (I realy must get a new computer)

Graham.

NickC

NickC,

Is the route you have provided (above) all on cycle routes or minor roads. I understand that Mr Dutch driver is not to happy for cyclists to be on 'his' road if a cycle route is alongside.

Also does any of the original Hells Highway still remain or has it all been ripped up and modernised.

Thanks again for the info though. I will endevour to put an extra mouse into my computers hard drive wheel and see if it will cope with Google maps. (I realy must get a new computer)

Graham.

None of it's on motorway, if that's what you mean. Either it'll be on cycle tracks alongside a main road, or on minor roads. It's a bit of a myth that Mr Dutch car driver objects to you cycling on 'his' roads. It's simply that you'd be slightly daft to cycle on a road when there's a perfectly good cycle path running alongside it - and of course it's forbidden to cycle on motorways. If you're on minor roads where there's no separate cycle path, you'll usually find that there's a marked section on the edge designated for cyclists - even where the road's extremely narrow. And no-one's more used to living with cyclists on this type of road than a Dutch driver; after all, most of them are cyclists as well. So I doubt you'll have any problems; I never have.

As for whether Hell's Highway still exists, I'm not sure. Certainly the N69 (the original HH) still runs from the Belgian border to Eindhoven, though it's certainly been upgraded since the military trundled along it in '44, though much of it would still be recognizable to any WWII ghosts still travelling that way (and of course it's still dotted with war cemetaries). From Eindhoven northwards I'm not sure; I'll have to look at my maps tonight when I'm home and let you know the road numbers later.

Nick

looe

After my first ever mini tour along the D-day beaches http://www.crazyguyo...oc/Penfoldsmith

I have an idea to indulge my history interest again and ride the route taken by XXX Corps armour brigade along what was known as Hells Highway in the Netherlands

This (according to the film a Bridge too Far) was a single highway that took the armour from the Dutch/Blegian border right the way to Arnhem. (well almost)

I would sit down and spend a happy evening with Google maps/earth but my computer is so slow it would take for ever.

Thanks

Graham

A book about it is here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hells-Highw...=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1263083649&sr=1-8

Chrisz

Über Member
When are you going?

I'm doing the Help for Heroes ride in September - Brugges to Arnhem (in time for Airborne Day). I'll be running my Garmin so I could send you the file afterwards if it's of any use?

OP
OP
Penfold

Penfold

Chrisz,

Mate it's an open ended trip at the moment. No date is fixed yet but i would like to fit it in next year (if possible)

If you wasted half an hour reading my beaches blog you will know I'm involved with a group of other Cops/ex Cops and sadly cycling isnt their first choice for travel
so I have to tread a bit careful to keep everyone happy.

I dont own a Garmin but of course with the prices coming down thats always a nice bit of kit to put on the Xmas list. I would love to take up your offer of a copy of the file mate.

H4H is the charity we rode for in Normandy I only hope that you have as much fun and as many laughs as we had. Good luck.

Looe
Thanks for the Amazon link I'll check it out now

Thanks everyone

Graham

NickC

NickC,

Graham.

OK, I've had a brief look at a few maps, so here goes.

According to the Royal Engineers Museum website (www.remuseum.org.uk) the HH route runs: Lommel, Valkenswaard, Eindhoven, Son, St Oedenrode, Veghel, Uden, Grave, Nijmegen, Arnhem. It's a bit of a fantasy really, since it isn't actually a single highway, and never was I think, but rather a collection of joining roads. But join up the dots on a map and you'll mostly find the navigation easy. For instance, from the Belgian border to Eindhoven the N69 has a bike path alongside all the way. From Eindhiven to Son it's almost all urban, which means bike paths alongside city streets; you'll need a map but it's simple - I know, I do most of it every dfay on my way to and from work. From Son to St Oedenrode is also straightforward along a country road - or, if you prefer, along a marked (numbered) parallel cyclepath that takes a slightly more cross-country route. From St Oedenrode toVeghel you'll have to faff about a bit on country roads that take you through the village of Koevering, since there's no single direct highway (and never was, I think - the armies had to faff about, too, in that area). From Veghel to Uden you're on a main road with a cyclepath alongside, and from Uden to Grave there's a choice of a main road with cyclepath alongside or a numbered cycle route that parallels it cross-country. From Grave to Nijmegen again there's a main(ish) road with cycle path alongside.

In short, it should be fairly simple, though you'd be wise to get the relevant Falk cyclists maps, which have everything (including campsites, etc) marked fairly clearly - and usually pretty accurately. They'll save you a lot of heartache,

Best of luck.

Nick

old donald

After my first ever mini tour along the D-day beaches http://www.crazyguyo...oc/Penfoldsmith

Thanks

Graham

old donald

Did the very same trip 2 years ago - Used Holts Battlefiled guide for Operation Market Garden - Roads were fine mainly cycle paths - camspites were excellent - there is a good one in Arnhem itself - plenty of things to see - the river at Nijmegen to think they cross that in boats!! It is a proper river..

Cafes were alo fabulous... coffe and cake excellent...

Just got back from Normady also....

Thinking of Berlin next year !!!

OP
OP
Penfold

Penfold

NickC,

Mate I can't thank you enough that reply is fantastic.... :bravo:

Daft question this..... but Falk cyclists maps? Are they a Dutch item or are they available in the UK. I will put my hands up and say i'm not familiar with the name.

Old Donald,

Holts guide...Good call,,,,, no...... the coffe and cakes not the Holts guide (only jokin)

Thanks so much for your help

Graham

NickC

NickC,

Mate I can't thank you enough that reply is fantastic.... :bravo:

Daft question this..... but Falk cyclists maps? Are they a Dutch item or are they available in the UK. I will put my hands up and say i'm not familiar with the name.

Old Donald,

Holts guide...Good call,,,,, no...... the coffe and cakes not the Holts guide (only jokin)

Thanks so much for your help

Graham

The maps are Dutch, widely available here, but I don't know about UK. When the time comes, if necessary give me a yell and I can get them for you. You'll need, I think, 3 of them to cover your whole route, but they aren't expensive.

Cheers

Nick

OP
OP
Penfold

Penfold

NIckC,

Thanks very much for that information and kind offer.

Looks like it's coming together, just got to sort the other muppets in my 'group' out and get them all on board.
Oh, and sort the logistics of getting from Wolverhampton to a decent start point (Ferry terminal)

We will most likely be going over for the anniversary in 2011 (our annual trip to battlefields of Europe) anyway but I think that trip will be by car/van...(Think bubble here........ I could get those maps on that trip with luck :idea: )

Thanks again

Graham

LBart072

Regular
Hello all - I am aware this is an older post, but still worth contributing this:
I have made the Leopoldsburg to Arnhem run quite a few times by bike. As I grew up alongside Hell's Highway, I am fascinated by XXX Corps intrepid and daring endeavour.
I recently launched a small website on cycle touring the infamous Hell’s Highway.
https://www.marketgarden.cc/
I launched the site with no commercial intent and no commercial affiliations.
Have a great day!

Top Bottom