Bell Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Looking for a bell for my 7-year-old.

We started off with a simple bell. He didn't like it as it kept making a noise when he was riding along. Not a big noise, but just a jangly noise. Then I spotted a Hoy bell in Evans. He was delighted. For a while. And then noticed a rattly sound which got worse the more he tried to stop it rattling.

So I'm looking for a bell. One that a child can use, but one that is absolutely silent when he isn't trying to warn someone of his approach.

Suggestions?

Tom B

Guru
I have a couple of "knog Oi" bells.
mine are pukka branded and may be a bit dear for a kiddies bike.

There are knock offs available on eBay.

alicat

Legendary Member
Would a ping bell work (rather than a trill bell). Could you explain that's what bells do. My bell certainly does. I've learnt to live with it.

sleuthey

Legendary Member
After many years I have found a Bell I really get on with even when wearing gloves.

It is BBB Loud n Clear.

It’s not loud, it’s average, but it’s reliable and robust.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I have a couple of "knog Oi" bells.
mine are pukka branded and may be a bit dear for a kiddies bike.

There are knock offs available on eBay.
I'd prefer a knock-off - the genuine ones break in short order. Read the reviews on Amazon. A knock-off can hardly be worse.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Spurcycle!

Chinese copy for a 10th of the price

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Angzhili-Bicycle-Classic-Accessories-Ultra-loud/dp/B07V7L5739/ref=sr_1_18?dchild=1&keywords=rockbros+bell&qid=1587200738&sr=8-18

I have two for both MTB's. Totally quiet until you need it, and it makes a nice 'ting'.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
My local bike shop has a jar of simple ping bells taken off new bikes which they give away to pretty much any customer who asks.

Not very exciting, but it would stop the lad being too irritating if he over used it.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Can't you silence the rattly bell by unscrewing the cover and smearing some soft glue or threadlock on the spindle?

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!

avecReynolds531

Veteran
I have a traditional steel Widek (Dutch) bell that doesn't rattle - it's fine. The ring ring tone is decently loud.

On the other side of the handlebar is the 80mm Dutch ding dong bell, again doesn't rattle. The tone is beyond decently loud!

The quality of these bells has been excellent - I was fed up with bells breaking or rattling too.

In our experience, it's been worthwhile to have a bell on each side of the handlebars - saving several potential collisions when indicating on corners.

The other benefit is the twin tone option is nicely musical, and many pedestrians have smiled & appreciated this.

Smudge

Veteran
Never known the ping bells rattle and i currently have them on 4 of my bikes. I also like that they are small and unobtrusive.
I also have a Spurcycle copy on my road bike, bought because the cheap ping bells wouldn't fit the wider bars. There's no way i would pay the ridiculous high cost of the genuine Spurcycle, its just a bell ffs.

Top Bottom