Bell Sweep Helmet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stevenb

Hi,

Does anyone own one of these?
How do you find it for comfort, shedding sweat and ventilation.
I heard good reviews on it but just thought I'd ask too.

Cheers all

Steve

Joe

Über Member
I have the Sweep R. I only got it this winter so I'm not too sure on ventilation yet but it is forget it's on comfy. And the "Gear Positioned System" is much more solid than Giro's Roc Loc 3 in my experience. Thumbs up from me.

OP
OP
stevenb

stevenb

Im going for the red and black one to match the paint job of my new forthcoming bike. :sad:
Yep...they look cool.
I was going for the Giro Monza or the Ionos...but the Sweep looks better to me. Sod the xtra 40grams..;)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
They do look cool ;) - got a cheap Bell for my son and even that has the dial lock...very impressed. I've got a Giro Pneumo which will need replacing soon.

Joe

Über Member
yenrod said:
Whats this 'Gear Positioned System' :biggrin:
It's a little wheel on the back of the helmet that adjusts the tightness.
gps.jpg

Needs a fancy name though!

I'm a fan of Specialized's Decibel - they are a little plain, but comfort, fit and ventillation are superb. They are also Snell rated, which is tougher than the Euro regs all helmets have to pass to be sold here.

I don't know about the Bell helmets, but you can check at http://www.smf.org/

jashburnham

I have a red and black sweep R, had it for a while and am delighted with it. Fits me perfectly and the dial thingy at the back works v well. All in all a good helmet.

OP
OP
stevenb

stevenb

Fingers crossed.....I took the plunge and ordered a Limar Pro 104 in the end.
Ok so its not as good looking as the Sweep but Cycling plus gave it a good review....plenty of air vents.£59.99 price tag at Bike + and a mere 201g for the large size.
Have gone for plain Matt black too....stealth helmet. :biggrin:
When it arrives I'll post up about it after I've used it on a ride.

ChrisKH

Guru
This is fortunate; I spent the weekend looking for helmets for me and my son. I got a Bell for my 5 year old from Decathlon for a good price and it's a nice one that will last him a few years. Nice fit.

For me, I was less fortunate. Everything in Halfords looked like I was wearing a brick. The Boardman helmet whilst it looks good didn't actually fit very well. I went to a couple of local shops and tried on some Specialized, but none were that great.

I'll take a look at the Bell sweep. Any other recommendations for road helmets?

Zoom

Über Member
I got a Sweep R last year for PBP; I needed something with maximum ventilation and it certainly does the job on that score.

The only slight downside is that you hear imaginary cars coming up behind you due to the sci-fi fins at the back. And it does nothing to keep you head warm in winter so worth investing in a £2.99 Aldi cap with free overshoes (the multi-adjuster makes this really easy)

overall, not the cheapest but well worth it :smile:

OP
OP
stevenb

stevenb

ChrisKH said:
This is fortunate; I spent the weekend looking for helmets for me and my son. I got a Bell for my 5 year old from Decathlon for a good price and it's a nice one that will last him a few years. Nice fit.

For me, I was less fortunate. Everything in Halfords looked like I was wearing a brick. The Boardman helmet whilst it looks good didn't actually fit very well. I went to a couple of local shops and tried on some Specialized, but none were that great.

I'll take a look at the Bell sweep. Any other recommendations for road helmets?
Depends on your budget I guess.

Specialized 2D approx £80
Giro Monza, approx £79.99
Limar pro 104 approx £60
Bell Sweep approx £60
Giro Pneumo approx £60
You can get 2006/2007 models for less if you shop around.
:smile:

domtyler

Über Member
stevenb said:
Depends on your budget I guess.

Specialized 2D approx £80
Giro Monza, approx £79.99
Limar pro 104 approx £60
Bell Sweep approx £60
Giro Pneumo approx £60
You can get 2006/2007 models for less if you shop around.
:smile:

Quite a lot of money for something that offers no real protection.

Still, I suppose there's one born every minute.

Top Bottom