Bells on new bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

uclown2002

Guru
I've bought 3 new bikes in recent years, all of them Boardmans.
Not a cheap bike obviously but I'm always a little surprised to find an ugly bell on the handlebars.

Is this typical when buying a new bike? Do many people use a bell?

The first thing I do is remove that, and front/rear/wheel light reflectors.

Like most folk here I have some proper lights so there is no need for the reflectors.

billy1561

BB wrecker
I'm not sure if the reflectors are a legal requirment? Anyway, i also take all that stuff off drop bar bikes but leave it all on for hybrids and mtbs. The bell is definately useful on tracks etc.

NormanD

Lunatic Asylum Escapee
IS A BELL NECESSARY ON A BICYCLE? BIKEHUB ANSWERS: MAYBE BUT IT’S NOT A LEGAL REQUIREMENT
At the point of sale (ie shops) bikes have to be fitted with bells but there is no legal requirement for them to be fitted to bicycles no longer on shop display.

Arsen Gere

Über Member
I use the bell on my bike every day. It stops me riding in to others/pedestrians on blind corners. It stops people walking in to your path on shared use paths.

Kies

Road bike .... Minimal trimmings (okay lights )
Hybrid has lights,bell,reflectors,me in dayglo if it means a motorist thinking about the shopping,starts paying attention to me on the road!

P.H

Über Member
I think the law is about to be changed, if it hasn't been already, scrapping the need to fit a bell at point of sale;
http://road.cc/content/news/49334-bikes-bell-attached-law-be-scrapped-after-dft-red-tape-challenge

OP
OP
uclown2002

uclown2002

Guru
I'll be picking my new Boardman up on Monday, and I've already asked them not to fit the bell or reflectors! I also said don't bother fitting pedals also although he told me the bike didn't come with any. ^_^

Top Bottom