Belt drive

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

netman

Veteran
I had a GTech Sport for a couple of years and it was a great bike. Virtually no maintenance with the belt drive. Only reason I changed mine was the range, wanted something that could go further so have a BMC Amp Cross now, but that's back to chain instead of belt.
@keithmac has one too.

Last edited:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I also have a GTech Sport which is good but not been in use for a while now as my balance has gone. Batteries are kept charged but not got round to reluctantly selling it yet.

Stul

Veteran
I have a Raleigh Centros GT which I specifically purchased for hub gears and belt drive. Been brill so far. Only problem was when I got a puncture as it was a bit of a pain to drop the rear wheel out. but then I realised they had fitted a "split" inner tube (ie no need to drop the wheel out).
So far i have been really pleased with it as it is virtually maintenance free....

OP
OP
B

Biker man

I have a Raleigh Centros GT which I specifically purchased for hub gears and belt drive. Been brill so far. Only problem was when I got a puncture as it was a bit of a pain to drop the rear wheel out. but then I realised they had fitted a "split" inner tube (ie no need to drop the wheel out).
So far i have been really pleased with it as it is virtually maintenance free....
Hi do you mean double ended tubes they are a brilliant idea

keithmac

Guru
My first GTECH is on 8,000 miles on original belt, I adjusted it once just to try out the Gates App (adjusted to 60hz) and never touched it again!.

Would love one on my Mid Drive ebike but that requires a belt capable frame.

Can't speak high enough about the Gates Carbon Drive personally, smooth quiet and maintenance free..

OP
OP
B

Biker man

My first GTECH is on 8,000 miles on original belt, I adjusted it once just to try out the Gates App (adjusted to 60hz) and never touched it again!.

Would love one on my Mid Drive ebike but that requires a belt capable frame.

Can't speak high enough about the Gates Carbon Drive personally, smooth quiet and maintenance free..
What are they like in the wet.

Stul

Veteran
.."IN THE WET....".........I would not dream of cycling in "inclement" conditions... :smile: .....would not want to get the frame dirty....LOL

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
What are they like in the wet.

Fine, although some are known to 'drum' a little.

What they don't like is any grit or even plant matter on the drive surface of the belt, because grinding that into the cogs will wreck the belt.

In turn, that's one of the main reasons why you won't see belts on mountain bikes - the belt would likely be knacked after not many minutes of MTB running.

Gravel/cinder tracks are OK, but it's worth checking occasionally to remove any little bits of grit which may have become lodged in the belt's teeth.

Top Bottom