Beltane

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

XOXO
May your crops and flocks be blessed.

Beltain_2019_Wickerman_burning_Butser_Ancient_Farm_photo_by_Eleanor_Sopwith.jpg

Yeah but, what about Britt doing her special dance.

Alex321

Veteran
1st of May is also the traditional start of the Morris Dancing season, and many sides (including ours) dance at dawn today.

It was a touch nippy this morning, and only just dry enough to be feasible - our musicians had to switch at one point to penny whistles rather than fiddle and melodeon.

Morris dancing, I heard that developed from Welsh clog dancing from a slightly nationalistic welshman. No idea if true but it kind of makes sense to me as it seems more popular in the west country IIRC.

PS I know slightly nationalistic Welshman might not be something experienced very often but he had lived a long time in England before moving back home.

OP
OP
AndyRM

AndyRM

XOXO
That is a little surprising, given she got naked in a few other films.

It's pretty common knowledge.

She didn't have a problem doing nude scenes but didn't want her derrière being filmed so they used a stripper from Glasgow/a woman from Castle Douglas/another actress from the film depending on which of the production team you believe.

Drago

Legendary Member
An important day for us Celts. Never been to a Beltane festival, ought to pull my finger out and make the effort.

I think, but am happy to be corrected, there's a big on in/near Edinburgh every year, might make the effort next year.

Drago

Legendary Member
Morris dancing, I heard that developed from Welsh clog dancing from a slightly nationalistic welshman. No idea if true but it kind of makes sense to me as it seems more popular in the west country IIRC.

PS I know slightly nationalistic Welshman might not be something experienced very often but he had lived a long time in England before moving back home.

Bee Gees fans flock to Cornwall each spring. It's the only place you can still see Morris dancing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AndyRM

AndyRM

XOXO
An important day for us Celts. Never been to a Beltane festival, ought to pull my finger out and make the effort.

I think, but am happy to be corrected, there's a big on in/near Edinburgh every year, might make the effort next year.

Yup, it's on Calton Hill and it's a lot of fun. The same organisers put on a Samhuinn one too, which is on Arthur's Seat these days.

https://beltane.org/

Drago

Legendary Member
Cheers Andy. Nice website.

Although I'm an imported Scotsmen, my Mums family,y having fled there in the late 30s to avoid the nazzies, my Dad is a cornishman, can trace his side back to the late 1500s, and my actual surname is as celtic-breton as they come. The warrior blood runs through my veins! parp!

Top Bottom