Belvoir retro ride - monthly in the Vale of Belvoir for pre-2000 bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Pre 2000 is now retro?
Always surprises me.
My three most ridden bikes are pre 2000 (approx 97) but i tend to think they after something more exotic than fiddled around with steel hybrids.
Have a great day if anyone goes.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Thanks @DCLane for making me aware of this and it looks ideal , apart from 10 am start time

I like to get my mile in before that to avoid some of the idiots on the roads

13 rider

Guru
Lovely area to ride until you have to climb out of the Vale ,Proper climbs which ever you pick including terrace hill which is on Simon Warren 100 climbs list
All of us Leicester based Ccers ride much to modern bikes to qualify

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

There were about 60 retro bikes out this morning plus a couple of modern carbon ones. I took my Dawes Kingpin and was the only non-road bike rider there.

Some gorgeous machinery on display, with many properly-restored bikes. A few rattier ones. Plus the Kingpin which is a basic home respray.

There were three groups on the road which seemed to form themselves on the near 30 mile ride around the Vale of Belvoir; I rode out with the front faster group but got left behind on the hills, rolling in about 5 minutes after them at the end. The medium-speed group came in about 20 minutes after me and the slower-speed group had gone to the café at the half-way point so I didn't see them arrive, even though I stopped at the start/finish point for an hour for lunch.

My Kingpin's on the left, with the Facebook group having some lovely photos:

202003783_10224063347307920_4507024687700497209_n.jpg

The next ride out is planned for 30 August and I'd highly recommend it. Modern machinery is fine, although pre-2000 preferred.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Pre 2000 is now retro?

Retro means a bike is made to look like a bike from an earlier historical era. A bike is not retro if it is simply old. It is simply old. A bike made in the 1990s that essentially looks like a 90s bike and uses 90s technology is not retro.

By @DCLane ‘s description this ride is for you even if your bike was made in 2021. It just needs to look like and use technology from pre 2000.

Yes I know. Holy thread resurrection.

Retro means a bike is made to look like a bike from an earlier historical era. A bike is not retro if it is simply old. It is simply old. A bike made in the 1990s that essentially looks like a 90s bike and uses 90s technology is not retro.

By @DCLane ‘s description this ride is for you even if your bike was made in 2021. It just needs to look like and use technology from pre 2000.

Yes I know. Holy thread resurrection.
The pre-2000 comment is just that, a comment. It's just a bit of fun, there's no scrutineering ;-)
I've done 3 of their rides. 1966 Royal Enfield Revelation. 1980 ish Raleigh Lady Clubman. 1980 Dawes Kingpin.
Most bikes are steel framed racers. You get the odd 3 speed. A few more modern bikes. Nobody's keeping score and the atmosphere is relaxed.
It's a great excuse to ride in a lovely area.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
The pre-2000 comment is just that, a comment. It's just a bit of fun, there's no scrutineering ;-)
I've done 3 of their rides. 1966 Royal Enfield Revelation. 1980 ish Raleigh Lady Clubman. 1980 Dawes Kingpin.
Most bikes are steel framed racers. You get the odd 3 speed. A few more modern bikes. Nobody's keeping score and the atmosphere is relaxed.
It's a great excuse to ride in a lovely area.

Exactly. None of those bikes are retro

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

They're back this year with a series of events:

May 2nd - Southwell, Nottinghamshire
June 2nd - Long Clawson, Leicestershire
July 31st - Wymondham, Leicestershire
August 27th - Screveton, Nottinghamshire.

I'll hope to make at least one of them with the recently-acquired 1959 Harry Quinn I've got, possibly with a Dawes Kingpin as well.

Top Bottom