Benefit of gym cycle training

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paul_L

Über Member
I used to cycle a fair bit, and then got into running. I gave up running about 3 years ago due to back problems. I'm now getting back into cycling as i've find it doesn't affect the back.

I cross train at the gym 3 or 4 times a week and usually include a 30min session on he gym exercise bike.

Apart from the aerobic training benefits, are there any real cycling benefits from using a gym trainer. Can they in any way substitute road miles?

Ravenz

Using a standard gym machine i.e. sit up and beg and go for a loaf of bread to the shops type.. the answer is imo 'no'.
Using the gym for Spin classes is a better bet. However,it is really dependent on how 'cycle switched on' the instructor is. Quite a lot teaching have never sat on the real thing in their young sweet lives and like to do silly aerobics whilst faffing about to usually dreadful mix of aerobic dance mixes... and then have you "now guys lets have you push at 100% for 5 minutes...." very scientific... NOT ... but if that's your bag.. don't let me stop you.

In a word.. go ride real.. and use the gym for strength training .. core and upper body.

Now I'm off to the gym...;) [whilst me membership lasts.....:biggrin:]

Top Bottom