Benefits of tyre change?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello all, I have recently bought a Genesis Croix De Fer 20 which I am loving, I previously had a Dawes Galaxy Cross AL which I found heavy and not really happy with. The Genesis has Kenda Flint Ridge Sport 35C tyres and as I ride almost entirely on tarmac wondering what benefits I would see swapping to Continental Ultra Sport 28C? Would it be rolling resistance/less effort or also speed and climbing? Thanks.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I wouldn't bother if that tyre is anything like the Continental Grand Sport Race 28c tyres my last bike came fitted with. Punctures galore until I replaced them and IMO the handling was skittish too. Replaced with Vittoria Randonneur pro in 32c flavour and not had a puncture since in over twice the distance. Tyres also feel more planted and just as quick to me.

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
There are plenty of sites that will give you a scientific measurement, normally the watts needed to roll the tyre at certain pressures and speeds. Obvious the fewer watts, the fewer watts "wasted" flexing the tyre and more available for movement.

There is an argument that there is a "sweet spot" somewhere between thick and thin, because the thinner the tyre the higher the psi needed - which means the rider is moving up and down more, which requires energy in itself - at some point it is more efficient to flex the tyre then wobble you up and down.

My personal view is that it is understated, because it is normally calculated by those factoring it as if the entire weight of the rider is being shook up and down.. Of course if you are riding over a rough bit of road you tend to use your legs to dampen the vibrations, so minimising some of this. However, wider tyres will of course be more comfortable.

In the end, it's down to individual preference but you will probably make performance gains on identical tyres down to at least 25c.

mustang1

Guru
Uh oh, here come the rolling resistance brigade. ')

Skinnier tires are (generally) lighter so you accelerate better. I suppose wider tires carry more momentum but I never found that to be the case. Idk why. The rolling resistance brigade will tell you wider tires have less resistance and in real world terms it makes no difference.

This is a load of cobblers. :smile:

Ok, let me rephrase that. This is bullcrap.

Now then, let's make our newbie welcome by optimizing this thread to its fullest cyclechat potential.

Do you see the tires the TdF guys ride? That's what you need. Have fun, and good luck. I'm outta here.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Its all cobblers! The Vittoria Randonneurs I use get slated for rolling resistance on 'those websites' but in the real world they feel f'in fantastic and I have clocked some BIG speeds on them.

Top Bottom