BENETFINK........anyone remember this firm.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User42423

1936 Benetfink.jpg benny #8.jpg

The bike you see in the picture is a 1936 Benetfink sport. The model was called "The City". The range of cycles were sold through Gamages of Holborn. Gamage was a huge department store based on Holborn viaduct (now long gone). Todate, it is believed only a few survive.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Obviously I don't remember them, but thanks for the interesting info, it is yet another make for me to look out for!

Thanks!

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
The Gamage store didn't close till late 1960s. I'm glad the info might be of use to someone. One of the best things about buying an old cycle, is the research.

Indeed! I learned what little there is readily available about the pre 1932 Humbers in the past, although I need to get back into it as I have forgotten half of it now.

I see posts I made in the past and I think

'Really? I didn't know that!!' :blush::laugh:

Last edited:

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
That said, can someone PLEASE get that Humber Marque/expert in the VCC (from Skegness or similar) to come kicking and screaming into the 20th century at least and get the interweb so they can at least accept e - mails?? :thumbsdown::unsure:

Last edited:
OP
OP
U

User42423

That said, can someone PLEASE get that Humber Marque/expert in the VCC (from Skegness or similar) to come kicking and screaming into the 20th century at least and get the interweb so they can at least accept e - mails?? :thumbsdown::unsure:
Hi Mad Doug. I can see your point about the Humber M.E. Sadly, not everyone is P.C literate. In my opinion, a club this size should stipulate (in it's rules) that anyone taking on a M.E role should have a computer. The former M.E was excellent at his job. Any enquiry was dispatched within 24 hrs.

Sadly (or luckily) I have had no call to contact the current one. I do all my own research.

mike2tayl

View attachment 84351 View attachment 84352

The bike you see in the picture is a 1936 Benetfink sport. The model was called "The City". The range of cycles were sold through Gamages of Holborn. Gamage was a huge department store based on Holborn viaduct (now long gone). Todate, it is believed only a few survive.
Hi

I have a ladies black Benetfink bicycle, it is in poor condition and needs a lot of work. Is it worth doing? Are these old cycles worth anything, anybody know anything about them

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Don't think they have any great value @mike2tayl If you were to restore it it would be a labour of love and the satisfaction of knowing you'd saved a piece of cycling history.
Interesting isn't it. This was the forerunner of the Supermarket bike.

OP
OP
U

User42423

Don't think they have any great value @mike2tayl If you were to restore it it would be a labour of love and the satisfaction of knowing you'd saved a piece of cycling history.
Interesting isn't it. This was the forerunner of the Supermarket bike.

Iwould have to agree with Cyclops on this occasion. My own Benetfink took me circa 4 years to restore (finding parts). I would guess it cost me about £200 to restore, but I only sold it for half that. There's no real money in "run of the mill bikes".

Drago

Legendary Member
If its not rare, historically significant, or one of those bikes/brands that is currently trendy, then it won't be worth much. However, the satisfaction of rejuvenating a vintage machine and readying it for another 80 years of service is priceless.

Top Bottom