Benotto ID help please - yes, a new arrival and it's a 'bitsa'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Having seen this on eBay, I bought it for not much more than the start price:

Benotto-1_zps7bceb1d1.jpg

It appears to be a Benotto - given the stamp on the rear drop-out and stay tops plus the heart cut-out on the bottom bracket. There's no stickers, etc. on it but an ID of P8603:

Benotto-tag_zps6873e933.jpg

It's got a 9-speed Pazzaz carbon crankset and bottom bracket, Campag Veloce rear mech but Shimano ARX front mech and Suntour downtube levers. Also, there's a carbon fork plus ITM stem and lightweight Bontrager front wheel. The headset's Campag. The overall package is very light.

Therefore, it appears to be a collection of parts added onto a Benotto frame, Campag headset and Weinmann 500 brakes.

@vernon - he's near you and a prog rock musician. You'll probably know him!

Any ID assistance on the frame would also be great.

Last edited:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@DCLane interesting collection of bits there that should sell for more than you paid for whole lot

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
@biggs682 - it's an option if I can't get bits sorted / make it work.

The frame seems decent enough - 1980's approx
The carbon cranks are OK condition, although the forks and seatpost aren't.
The other bits are OK as well.

What's odd is that the seller's been using a 9-speed on the downtube and I'm not sure how they fitted the 135mm rear wheel in. It's in at the moment but I'd not want to ride it that way!

Last edited:
Hi DCL. The frame number on your Benotto is an earlier one than is on mine (featured twice on the forum) Mine is R8578 and was originally the Benotto Gold but in very very bad order - it also has the Colnago Heart cut-out of the bottom bracket. My frame is actually a Benotto Modelo 850 Paris Roubaix model that was rescued from a charity organization in Leeds at a costly £168.00. The original chromed forks were way beyond polishing and were actually replaced with new pantograph ones - the original ones were given a new coat of stove enamel as was the frame.
I had my frame professionally widened at the rear to take an 8spd Shimano Exage hub but is now running on all Campagnolo but with a Stronglight 50/40/30 Triple on Thorn 140mm cranks (total replacement left knee in 2007 and limited bend).

Top Bottom