Bent Derailleur

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
This is probably a really stupid question, however.
Hubby has bent his derailleur (Tiagra) falling off his bike in a clipless moment that I was facing the wrong way to witness.
He has been looking for a new 9 speed Tiagra derailleur online but can only find Soras. Would a Sora derailleur be ok? Wiggle only seem to do 9 speed Soras & 10 speed Tiagras. Himself doesn't really want to change to a complete 10 speed as its likely to be a PITA.

Any advice welcome.
Thank you in advance.

you sure he has bent the mech, not the hanger..?

OP
OP
Saluki

Saluki

World class procrastinator
He says that he is not sure. When I looked at it yesterday the hanger wasn't hanging straight down but looked over to the left a bit, if that makes sense.
He gave it a bit of a bang when landing and then there was a clicking as the spokes were being hit when the wheel turned. He has fettled a couple of times but its still not right. I might run the bike down to our LBS in the morning. (work will be getting in the way of cycling in a few minutes)

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Mine did the same when it fell over onto that side, it was just the hanger bent slightly which left the derailleur pointing slightly inwards enough that it would hit the spokes in the biggest sprocket. If you can match the hanger with one online its quite an easy fix :smile:

top-tube

Über Member
I had similar problem earlier this year, but my 9 speed Tiagra mech snapped off the hanger. I replaced with 9 speed Sora no problem. Be sure you get correct short cage or long cage as appropriate. I found Ribble to be about the cheapest on lin (about £18 posted from memory).

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Interesting. If you have to buy a new one, I thought the throw of the RD was determined by the shifter, not the mech, and the Tiagra RD 4600 is listed by some US supppliers as '7,8 or 9 Speed'. However the first thing to check is the hanger, it is designed to bend/fail sacrificially.
edit - Rose Bikes list it as 8/9/10, and Ribble list the 105 RD5700 as 8/9/10 too.

Top Bottom