Bent my chainring , trying to bend it back ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Whilst out on last weekends ride i burnt the bottom bracket and now i have found i have warped the big ring , too much power in my legs obviously :whistle:.

Took it to the LBS and they said they could probably straighten it but the teeth are definitely worn so i plumped for a new one that they will have to order in.The LBS did try to sell me a 52 tooth but as it is a 50 t a 52t would have been to much of a drop to the lower ring .

Good job i have my commuter that is still working as in the last month i have had to replace..

Cassette
chain
bottom bracket
chain ring

That is after 2 years of use, so when i do sell a bike i will definitely be keeping the repaired one as it has newer components on it.

zexel

Veteran
You 'burnt' the BB and the heat warped the chainring!?:ohmy: :laugh:

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

Just spent an hour in the garage trying to straighten it and it is a lot better than it was but it now drops over the chainring on the 2 fastest gears where it is still bent , if i turn the high stop in any further it rubs on low points so i guess it is fubared ..

GrasB

Veteran
Once they're properly bent you'll never get the chainring right again as the teeth profiles will be wrong. This will lead to over shifting &/or chain dropping plus extra wear on the chain. Cheaper in the long run just to change the 'ring.

zexel

Veteran
Just spent an hour in the garage trying to straighten it and it is a lot better than it was but it now drops over the chainring on the 2 fastest gears where it is still bent , if i turn the high stop in any further it rubs on low points so i guess it is fubared ..

I've got a mint (black) Shimano 105 50T BCD110 chainring you can have for the price of postage if it'll help you out.

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

I've got a mint (black) Shimano 105 50T BCD110 chainring you can have for the price of postage if it'll help you out.

Is it a 5 pointed one?, if so yes please :smile:

Looks the business, saved me £30 + for what the LBS would charge me ( more money towards the pushchair swmbo wants ...)

Top Bottom