Bent rim, is it a write off?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Broadside

Guru
I hit a large stone on a descent while doing 35mph+, no idea how I stayed on the bike but managed to stop just after all the air had escaped through the tyre which fortunately had not burst.

The rim is damaged as you can see in the photos, is this the end of it for this wheel? This is a Mavic Aksium front wheel which only has about 3,000 miles on it. The rim still runs perfectly true but with this lump on the braking surface it really isn't usable - i rode 15 miles home on it but couldn't use the front brake.

I took it in to the LBS and they offered to have a go at sorting it out but pointed out that it might crack or will always be weak and will never be properly right again. I am thinking that this is beyond repair but would be grateful for opinions. Is it worth putting the edge of that side of the rim in a vice to try and straighten it out, or is it just time to go shopping?

Attachments

• photo 1-6.JPG
    photo 1-6.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 54
  • photo 2-4.JPG
    photo 2-4.JPG
    102.8 KB · Views: 57
  • photo 3-3.JPG
    photo 3-3.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 55
  • photo 4-2.JPG
    photo 4-2.JPG
    103 KB · Views: 50

e-rider

crappy member
it's for the bin
you might be able to source a replacement rim from Mavic and then rebuild the wheel (Mavic customer service is a bit lacking IME though)

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
If it was mine and I was doing commuting on it and no death defying descents, I'd gently knock it back in. I'd get a piece of timber that fits snugly in the rim and use another price of timber and hammer to knock it flat.

But I'd replace with a new rim when I'd have time, it takes about an hour to replace the rim, spoke by spoke side by side. I then get my lbs to final true for a fiver. New rims are cheap enough.

Top Bottom