Bent Saddle Stem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

southcoastden

I have just purchased a used Voodoo Bantu mountain bike for a very good price. However, the seat post/stem is slightly bent, sufficiently enough to prevent the seat from being lowered although it can be raised. This is not an immediate problem for me as the seat is at a suitable height for me to ride the bike. However, I would be keen to know if the post/stem can be straightened professionally at a bike shop without damaging it?

HovR

Über Member
If the product was damaged when you received it, take it back to the shop. It's their obligation to fix it under the sale of goods act, which states that the product should be of satisfactory quality, including freedom from minor defects.

Edit: Answering the original question, it may be able to be straightened, although there may be some some damage to the paintwork of the seat post - It'd probably be a lot of fuss when you should be able to get a new one (free) under the sog act.

OP
OP
southcoastden

southcoastden

If the product was damaged when you received it, take it back to the shop. It's their obligation to fix it under the sale of goods act, which states that the product should be of satisfactory quality, including freedom from minor defects.

Edit: Answering the original question, it may be able to be straightened, although there may be some some damage to the paintwork of the seat post - It'd probably be a lot of fuss when you should be able to get a new one (free) under the sog act.

Thanks for the response. The bike was purchased privately (not from a shop) so not sure if SOG applies. I have had a quick browse on ebay and a new seatpost (400mm x 27.2) can be purchased for between £10 to £20 so it may be easier to buy a new one.

HovR

Über Member
If the bike was described/advertised as having damage, then there isn't much you can do regarding the SOG act, as the bike was as advertised. You may be able to straighten the seat post yourself in a vice, although you risk mis-shaping it if you don't use a form.

As you said, it'd probably be easier to just buy a new one, since you bought the bike privately.

As you say - replacements are widely available on eBay for a tenner.

I'd just check the top of the frame around the seat post collar. There has been a considerable amount of force going through that seatpost to bend it - make sure it was out of the frame at the time!

OP
OP
southcoastden

southcoastden

If the bike was described/advertised as having damage, then there isn't much you can do regarding the SOG act, as the bike was as advertised. You may be able to straighten the seat post yourself in a vice, although you risk mis-shaping it if you don't use a form.

As you said, it'd probably be easier to just buy a new one, since you bought the bike privately.

Thanks. I have checked the frame and it seems fine. I have purchased a new seatpost and fitted it and everything seems OK.

Top Bottom