BERD wheels: are polymer rope spokes the next big thing or marketing hype?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
He should have gone to Zed, his carbon - titanium spokes are lighter and cheaper..
https://zedbikewheels.com/product/sl-ultra-disc-aero-wide-cs-35-carbon-titanium-spokes/

Jody

Stubborn git
Polymer spokes remind me of the old Tioga disk drive from back in the day. That used Kevlar to suspend the wheel.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
How do rope spokes work then? Surely spokes carry a (cyclic) compression load. I mean, the hubs don’t hang from the rims, do they?

:popcorn:

PK99

Legendary Member
How do rope spokes work then? Surely spokes carry a (cyclic) compression load. I mean, the hubs don’t hang from the rims, do they?

:popcorn:

Naughty boy!

davidphilips

Veteran
My own view on really expensive items is the law of diminishing returns, even if they are great unless you are a professional cyclist then apart from the bling factor then not really wort the expense to the club or leisure cyclist.
Know a few club cyclists that have bought wheels with carbon spokes, low spoke count and thought they where really great at first but would never buy them again as they found they where neither long lasting or dependable. Can not say about the polymer spokes but know i would avoid them even if they where the same price as steel spokes.
Bit of topic buy anyone know if yellow saddle is still on Cycle Chat, not seen any posts from him in a long time?

Top Bottom